Supporters Gather for Murdered San Jose Transgender Woman

A transgender woman who was killed last week in Milpitas was honored Saturday by friends and LGBTQ rights advocates at San Jose City Hall.

Friends said Natalia Smüt, 24, a transgender woman and drag artist from San Jose who was known  for her motivating and creative spirit, captivating performances and her love for advocacy within the community was killed Friday.

Also Friday, Milpitas police arrested Elijah Cruz Segura, 22, of Union City in connection to her killing. Police said Segura called 911 about 2:23am Friday saying the victim was injured and that he was responsible for her injuries.

Within three minutes, two officers arrived at the home on Hillview Court and took Segura into custody. Officers located the victim laying on the ground with significant injuries. Officers provided aid to the victim until fire department personnel and paramedics arrived.  The victim was taken to an area hospital where she later died.

A community vigil honoring Smüt was held Saturday evening at San Jose City Hall, and a community potluck in honor of Smüt is scheduled for Sunday, according to Project MORE Foundation, a nonprofit organization that works to improve the quality of life of the LGBTQ community.

“The senseless violence against transgender and non-binary people in our communities must stop, and more protections and advocacy are needed,” according to a statement  from the organization. “We encourage the community to check in with your queer family and friends to show your support and care for their well-being.”

In honor of Smüt  and other trans lives lost to violence, the organization on Saturday changed the color of the lights in the Qmunity District in downtown San Jose to trans flag colors. The lights will remain changed for the next 16 days to help draw awareness to violence against transgender people.

Smüt was the 16th victim this year of anti-transgender violence in the U.S.

23 Comments

1. — “The senseless violence against transgender and non-binary people in our communities must stop, and more protections and advocacy are needed,” according to a statement from the organization. “We encourage the community to check in with your queer family and friends to show your support and care for their well-being.” —

2. This is being called “anti-transgender violence” but I have seen ZERO evidence that Natalia was murdered because they identify as trans. If a person who happens to be trans is murdered, it is NOT automatically “anti-trans violence.” Do your job, reporters. Stop lying to the public.

3. Here is a little data that supports the idea that at least half of the trans people are killed by their queer partners. Another huge risk factor about trans women is if they engage in street prostitution. A number of other articles suggest that the victims were engaged in prostitution.

Very hard to get good stats but it would appear that the queer community is the biggest part of the problem.

4. PHU TAN ELLI you wrote:

“The killer was identified (elsewhere!) as Smut’s boyfriend, a man who prior to the murder was presumably part of the “queer family and friends,” thus counterfeiting the organization’s depiction of the crime as having been against the transgender community. The organization’s eagerness to distort and exploit a domestic violence tragedy for its own hateful, finger-pointing purposes, a distortion that disrespects the victim’s right to a truthful remembrance, is a testament to its indefatigable deceit and endemic narcissism.”

Mark wrote:

“This is being called “anti-transgender violence” but I have seen ZERO evidence that Natalia was murdered because they identify as trans. If a person who happens to be trans is murdered, it is NOT automatically “anti-trans violence.” Do your job, reporters. Stop lying to the public.”

But you are not investigating the crime at all are you. And for people like you even when evidence gets presented you would simply say it is not valid. We all can tell where you stand.

HB you wrote:

I shall wait for the conclusion of the investigation, but there is a lot of proof that Trans people are targeted for violence. There are good Federal Crime statistics along with state ones. With some very glaring stories like the Brandon Teena story. But you can go ahead and ride the Nile (ride Denial) for as far as you want.

5. propaganda click-bait quotes and sensationism

listen DV is bad, bad everytime straight, queer, trans, parental, whatever

6. SJ Kulak, you wrote:

“this was a crime of intimacy not some gang of frustrated anti-trans marauders roaming the bath houses looking for blood, get a grip.”

You are assuming way more facts that are even being presented regarding her death.

So far not “motive” of the crime has even been disclosed by the investigation.

But however, the facts are you don’t need a “gang” of people to have a HATE crime. And that Trans people are known targets because they “don’t fit in” to the standard image, behaviors, or norms of the typical person. None the less, they do not deserve any less respect, or what is proven in case after case, a particular HATE motive of the crime

And using the phrase specifically “anti-trans marauders roaming the bath houses looking for blood,” really just indicates that you have a serious “intolerance” problem at the least when it comes to the LGBTQ community. You demonstrate that if a “Trans” person or a “Conventional” person had applied for a job with you, even if the “Trans” person was better at it, you would hire the “Conventional” person instead. Also, you would treat them hostilely to discourage them from ever applying for a job with you ever again.

Again you use your “FAKE” name to prevent the public from taking this into account whether to do any business with you. If I knew who you were, I would never be your customer

7. In response to my comment, in which I described the crime as a “domestic violence tragedy,” Steven Goldstein offered this:

— Really? As far as the law goes, you cannot beat or rape or murder your wife, girlfriend, or partner, that is the definition of Domestic Violence, and “gender” or “sexual orientation” has nothing to do with it. —

Are you having trouble with your meds or just your reading comprehension? Your comment was idiotic and annoying. You want so much to seem smart and insightful that you guzzle your way through the comments, seldom pausing long enough to digest anything and then, predictably, you vomit all over the page.

8. Phu Tan Elli,

As usual, you cannot constructively discuss the topic once you feel your AUTHORITY is not obeyed. Then you use persistant name-calling to try to change the topic.

I stand by what I said, and most REASONABLE people will not find much to disagree with.

Please you have got to be able to do better than that?

9. Steven Goldstein,

I challenge you to explain how your pompous response to my comment made sense. In what world does describing something as a “domestic violence tragedy,” which is how I depicted the victim’s murder, somehow fail to “Really?” define it as domestic violence (as you alleged)?
    I resort to name-calling because your brand of imperious asininity demands it.
    As for what most reasonable people might think, my recommendation is that you steer clear of any collection of reasonable people, especially if they have emergency commitment powers.

10. PHU TAN ELLI when you wrote:

“The killer was identified (elsewhere!) as Smut’s boyfriend, a man who prior to the murder was presumably part of the “queer family and friends,” thus counterfeiting the organization’s depiction of the crime as having been against the transgender community.”

You depiction of anyone that is “queer” to try to say it had something to do with this crime is a problem. Sop many like yourself promote that since anyone not like yourself should be demeaned or disrespected is a problem to me. You wrote:

“The organization’s eagerness to distort and exploit a domestic violence tragedy for its own hateful, finger-pointing purposes, a distortion that disrespects the victim’s right to a truthful remembrance, is a testament to its indefatigable deceit and endemic narcissism.”

Please prove that the “organization” was doing anything that warranted such an obviously personal attack. Given this community has been subjected to so much hostility from people like yourself. What might get you the most upset is that the statement they made was simply this:

What in this statement can be considered action like you described? Seems to be very reasonable and constructive to me. There is nothing hostile against anyone else in it, not like your constant rant.

11. Phu Tan Elli, I enjoy reading your posts. While often biting, they are well thought out.

A bit of advice: never argue with an idiot. Bystanders sometimes can’t tell who is who.

Never follow the rabbit down the hole.

12. HB,

You nevver addressed my point, like you always do when confronted with a valid argument that makes your comments invalid: You simpoly try to play “Whack a Mole” and change the subject.

““Here is a little data that supports the idea that at least half of the trans people are killed by their queer partners. Another huge risk factor about trans women is if they engage in street prostitution. A number of other articles suggest that the victims were engaged in prostitution.”

And it was the legal discrimination of trans people that FORCED them to do that kind of work. They weren’t allowed to do any other work except “stage” performers or worse “circus freaks” Only in the last 2 years has there been a legal recognition FEDERALLY that trans people are prevented from doing the “kind” of work you would not question. And in fact, the same story was for homosexuals too. If you think you can just say, “oh, they are criminals they get what they deserve” than this is the reason why you and your friends never self-disclose who you are.”

It can take as much as 20 years for when a group is declared protected from discrimination, to where it even comes close to where they can have an equal chance to live with the assumption that those rights are theirs. As I said, HB if you had your way, you would force it so the only work that TRANS people could do is criminal work, thus fulfilling your claim that TRANS people are not worthy of being given respect.Which is EXACTLY what has happened in this country ever since the “RED SCARE” days, that the LGBTQ people are “SECURITY” risks and are not trustworthy to do any work by anyone.

You cannot deny that is what people who “HATE” the LGBTQ comminuty all strive to prove to the “REST” of us.

13. nothing to see here, move along

14. If I knew who you were, I would never be your customer

baaaaaahahaha

rich coming from a grown man gaming a pandemic to weasel out of paying rent

baaaaaaaahahaha

frankly, i wouldnt know if you were a customer or would care if you were, my PMs screen on income, credit, and rental history; first come first served; one application at a time and I never know the name of a tenant before occupancy. fair housing makes the process simple.

time to get a job, rents due in a couple days

15. “A bit of advice: never argue with an idiot.” — HB

Thanks for the advise. I recognize good advise when I see it, I just sometimes find it difficult to heed it.

16. SJ Kulak,

“nothing to see here, move along

murder happens everyday in a country of 330M, stop trying to get political cap off someone’s tragedy.”

Like the scene from Police Squad (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKnX5wci404)

You are only writing here to play your own personal urinating contest. You cannot stick to the subject. Also, since you are FICTIONAL you have no RECORD to prove you are a good PROPERTY OWNER.

And if that is not enough, lets also compare my conduct to my landlords that were found in violation of tax laws seen here (https://www.leagle.com/decision/intco20140508e91). You can call me a “gamer” but I don’t break rules or in this case tax regulations.

I filed for a 20% rent overpayment refund with my City, and I am going to get assistance with a lawyer. The overpayment goes back to 2017. And if I win he will have to do that to EVERY unit in my building. Since I have VIDEO proof, and he signed a City form declaring he was maintaining the property, that seems unlikely that my case will fail. Finally you wrote:

“if you were a customer, youd be satisfied or youd move and our turnover is lighter than I’d prefer, nothing to do with who owns it”

Your approach is I will never fix or improve my units for my customers, if they don’t like it, LEAVE.

17. SJ Kulak,

18. TO: PHU TAN ELLI
    I know what you mean. When you see someone post something that is so patently and demonstratively untrue, it is very difficult to not provide some measure of reason to attempt clarify the misinformation. But, alas, there is no reasoning with the unreasonable. Particularly when they “jump the shark” in every rambling responses that scatters in 5 directions and asks and then conveniently answers their own questions as proof of the validity of their comments.

19. Hb,

Well if your discussions consist of changing the subject like this, it just shows that you cannot address the topics at all.

Please point out with ANY evidence what I said was UNTRUE?

What we have with HB, SJ Kulak and Phu Tan Ellie is the problem with the internet called circular validation via anonymous unauthenticated information. Which are the evidentiary failures that those like yourself support regarding the “QANON” movement.

The fact that so many actually believe “QANON” information is amazing.

Once anyone gets provided any reliable information that contradicts them, the personally attack over and over again. HB, have you any evidentiary justification for the comments you wrote regarding this topic?

20. As a chronic sufferer of CVVAUI (Circular Validation Via Anonymous Unauthenticated Information), commonly referred to as “Circle-Jerk Syndrome,” I take offense at Mr. Goldstein’s mocking of my self-abusive condition. By his outing of me he’s revealed his grasp on compassion to be as weak as is his hold on sanity.

21. PHU TAN ELLI you wrote:

“As a chronic sufferer of CVVAUI (Circular Validation Via Anonymous Unauthenticated Information), commonly referred to as “Circle-Jerk Syndrome,” I take offense at Mr. Goldstein’s mocking of my self-abusive condition. By his outing of me he’s revealed his grasp on compassion to be as weak as is his hold on sanity.”

First there you go changing the SUBJECT again. Second, you took a perfectly NON-SEXUAL description and made it SEXUAL ON YOUR OWN. This is amazing that you try to inflame or outright MAKE UP YOUR OWN NARRATIVE BASED ON TOTALLY UNRELATED LANGUAGE. This is a symptom of SOMEONE NOT BEING ABLE TO PERCEIVE REALITY ACCURATELY. Should we be listening to someone anonymously that appears to leave reality into fantasy like this?

22. “Should we be listening to someone anonymously that appears to leave reality into fantasy like this?” — Steven Goldstein

You seem troubled. Perhaps you should stop listening anonymously and remind yourself, you are Steven Goldstein.

23. In the end, I think that the fact is so many people were positivley touched by Natalia, far more than the combination of Phu Tan Ellie, HB, and SJ Kulak, and there will be no one to advocate for you under similar circumstances.

A follow up story shows how much good Natalia did for so many people.

And so far none of you can demonstrate anything like this.