California Orders All Teachers and School Staff to Get Vaccinated or Be Tested

The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) today issued a new public health order requiring all school staff to either show proof of full vaccination or be tested at least once per week.

“To give parents confidence that their children are safe as schools return to full, in-person learning, we are urging all school staff to get vaccinated. Vaccinations are how we will end this pandemic,” Gov. Gavin Newsom said at an 11am press conference. “As a father, I look forward to the start of the school year and seeing all California kids back in the classroom.”

The new policy for school staff will take effect Thursday, and schools must be in full compliance by Oct. 15. Free testing resources are available to K-12 schools through the CA K-12 schools testing program.

“There’s no substitute for in-person instruction, and California will continue to lead the nation in keeping students and staff safe while ensuring fully open classrooms,” said Dr. Tomás J. Aragón, CDPH Director and State Public Health Officer. “Today’s order will help the state’s continued efforts to increase vaccinations, similar to the orders encouraging state and health care workers and businesses to get vaccinated.”

Despite California leading the nation in vaccinations, with more than 46 million doses administered and over 77 percent of those eligible having received at least one dose, the state is seeing increasing numbers of people who refused to get the vaccine being admitted to the ICU and dying. This increase is heavily due to the Delta variant, health officials said.

In recent weeks, California has led the nation in implementing measures to slow the spread of COVID-19, including:

  • Vaccine verification for state workers. Requires all state workers to either show proof of full vaccination or be tested at least once per week, and encourages local governments and other employers to adopt a similar protocol. Following California’s announcement, some of the largest California businesses and local governments followed suit, as did the federal government.
  • Vaccinations for health care workers. Requires workers in health care settings to be fully vaccinated or receive their second dose by September 30, 2021.
  • Universal masking in K-12 settings. Aligned with guidance from the CDC and American Academy of Pediatrics, California was the first state to implement universal masking in school settings to keep students and staff safe while optimizing fully in-person instruction.
  • Medi-Cal vaccination incentives. $350 million in incentive payments to help close the vaccination gap between Medi-Cal beneficiaries and Californians as a whole, significantly stepping up outreach in underserved communities.
  • Statewide mask recommendation. In response to the spike in COVID-19 hospitalizations and new CDC guidance calling for masking, the state recommended mask use for indoor public settings regardless of vaccination status.

As of last week, California had administered 335,009 new first doses, a 24% increase compared to the previous two weeks. This is a 62% increase compared to the week of July 5-July 11. Today’s policy will help keep staff and students safe while encouraging additional vaccinations.

Union leaders announced their support of the new rules.

“Educators want to be in classrooms with their students, and the best way to make sure that happens is for everyone who is medically eligible to be vaccinated, with robust testing and multi-tiered safety measures,” said California Teachers Association President E. Toby Boyd. “Today’s announcement is an appropriate next step to ensure the safety of our school communities and to protect our youngest learners under 12 who are not yet vaccine eligible from this highly contagious Delta variant.”

“Worker-led school safety protocols have created the model for safe school reopening, and many school workers have already created similar agreements,” said SEIU Local 99 Executive Director and SEIU California Executive Board Member Max Arias. “Workers and employers sitting down at the bargaining table is the most effective way to create and implement vaccine policies for the benefit of the entire school community.”

“We want to do everything possible to protect our most vulnerable children and ensure that all children can return to school as safely as possible,” said California State PTA President Carol Green. “We stand by our position that educators are essential workers and support the safe opening of schools to in person instruction.”

“Combining this policy with mitigation measures like masking, hand washing, and good ventilation will ensure we are doing everything possible to keep schools safe for in-person learning. We applaud the Governor’s efforts to provide a framework that works toward this goal,” said California Federation of Teachers President Jeff Freitas.

“While we hope that all employees will ultimately decide to be vaccinated, we look forward to working with the Governor’s administration on the necessary staffing and operations support required to conduct employee COVID testing in our schools,” said Association of California School Administrators President Charlie Hoffman.

“A vaccine requirement for education staff, as announced by Governor Newsom, is a necessary step, one that aligns with the science, and public health recommendations to create the safest environment possible as we reopen our campuses,” said California County Superintendents Educational Services Association President and Alameda County Superintendent of Schools L.K. Monroe.

“CCSA supports the orders by the California Department of Public Health to mitigate transmission and ensure a safe return to in-person learning,” ​​said California Charter Schools Association President and CEO Myrna Castrejón.  “We urge all educators and school staff to get vaccinated to keep yourselves and students safe.”

“COVID-19 vaccines are safe, effective and free,” health officials said.. Unvaccinated Californians age 12 and up can go to myturn.ca.gov or call (833) 422-4255 to schedule an appointment or go to myturn.ca.gov/clinic to find a walk-in clinic in their county.

 

 

22 Comments

  1. Somehow private schools manged to stay open throughout the pandemic. Those rich kids and private employees must be made of sterner stuff than our unionized government bureaucracy drones.

  2. It is not a HIPPA violation because HIPPA laws restrict health workers from disclosing one’s health information without one’s consent.

    I do agree with you that teachers should go on strike.

    Unfortunately, civil liberties have been abrogated throughout the pandemic, and with virtually no resistance from feckless, craven sheeple who have allowed local and state officials to practice government by fiat.

    The future of our federal constitutional republic is in jeopardy.

  3. SPEAKING AS A PERSON WITH SOME EXPERTISE IN THIS SITUATION, JUST UNDERSTAND THIS. VACCINATION RECORDS ARE NOT CONSIDERED PRIVATE AS FAR AS HIPPA GOES. HERE IS SOME MORE INFORMATION FOR YOU TO DIGEST:

    HIPAA and Proof of Vaccine Status

    Vaccination information is classed as PHI and is covered by the HIPAA Rules. However, HIPAA only applies to HIPAA-covered entities – HEALTHCARE PROVIDERS, HEALTH PLANS, AND HEALTHCARE CLEARINGHOUSES – AND THEIR BUSINESS ASSOCIATES. If an employer asks an employee to provide proof that they have been vaccinated in order to allow that individual to work without wearing a facemask, THAT IS NOT A HIPAA VIOLATION AS HIPAA DOES NOT APPLY TO MOST EMPLOYERS.

    It would not be a HIPAA violation for an employer to ask an employee’s healthcare provider for proof of vaccination. IT WOULD HOWEVER BE A HIPAA VIOLATION FOR THE EMPLOYEE’S HEALTHCARE PROVIDER TO DISCLOSE THAT INFORMATION TO THE EMPLOYER UNLESS THE INDIVIDUAL HAD PROVIDED AUTHORIZATION TO DO SO. If an employer is running their own vaccination program and an employee chooses to have their vaccine privately, that individual may have to authorize their healthcare provider to disclose certain information about their vaccine to their employer as proof that they have been vaccinated.

    ASKING ABOUT VACCINE STATUS WOULD NOT VIOLATE HIPAA BUT IT IS POSSIBLE THAT OTHER LAWS COULD BE VIOLATED. For instance, requiring employees to disclose additional health information such as the reason why they are not vaccinated could potentially violate federal laws. FURTHERMORE, SEVERAL STATES HAVE PASSED LAWS – OR ARE CONSIDERING LAWS – THAT PROHIBIT EMPLOYERS IN THE PUBLIC SECTOR FROM ASKING EMPLOYEES ABOUT THEIR VACCINE STATUS.”

    THE CDC STATES:

    “Implications for Public Health

    The Privacy Rule strikes a balance between protecting patient information and allowing traditional public health activities to continue. Generally, disclosure of protected health information without the authorization of the individual is permitted for purposes including but not limited to:

    disclosures required by law (45 CFR § 164.512(a)) or

    for “public health activities and purposes.” This includes disclosure to “A PUBLIC HEALTH AUTHORITY THAT IS AUTHORIZED BY LAW TO COLLECT OR RECEIVE SUCH INFORMATION FOR THE PURPOSE OF PREVENTING OR CONTROLLING DISEASE, INJURY, OR DISABILITY, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE REPORTING OF DISEASE, INJURY, VITAL EVENTS…, AND THE CONDUCT OF PUBLIC HEALTH SURVEILLANCE,… INVESTIGATIONS, AND… INTERVENTIONS.” (45 CFR § 164.512(b)(i))

    THE REALITY IS THAT SO FAR YOU ARE MAKING UP A FALSE STORY HERE SORRY

  4. The children of the ruling class DEM elites must be educated properly – it is the “Gaslighted” lower classes that must be kept on the government handout system – remote learning and masks for them lest they become educated and vote for their better interest, and choose Victor status over Victimhood.

    OCT 2020: “Newsom’s 4 children return to school – reinforces concerns from lawmakers that families who can afford Private Schools have a jumpstart, further widening the achievement gap.
    (The Teachers Unions) CTA this summer criticized the governor for allowing private schools to seek waivers to reopen – which nearly ALL PRIVATE SCHOOLS DID.”

    “The admission that (Privileged Gavin’s) own children are back in classrooms could ramp up pressure on Newsom to do more to reopen schools (DID NOT Happen – Teachers Unions made sure of that).

    As each day goes by with Low-Income Public School children struggling with distance learning, expect Newsom’s personal situation to become a high-profile example of the educational inequities during coronavirus.”

  5. CA PATRIOT,

    YOUR POSTIUNG IS NOT ON TOPIC, PLEASE STICK TO THE TOPIC? DID YOU HAVE ANYTHING TO CONTRIBUTE REGARDING THE CALIFORNAI ORDERS INVOLVING SCHOOL STAFF TO BE VACCINATED OR TESTED?

    OR IS THIS JUST ANOTHER FAKE POSTING TO BE AN ADVERTISEMENT REGARDING THE RECALL ELECTION?

  6. This is perfect timing for the recall Gavin proponents. The vast majority of already vaccinated liberal teachers will just ignore this but it will light a fire under others to vote to recall Gavin. Thank you again Gavin! You are a gift that just keeps on giving in support of your recall.

  7. Most teachers have been vaccinated already, as have most health care workers. at most 3% are hold outs. This is aimed at them.

  8. “SANTA CLARA NOW HAS ONLY 55 ICU BEDS FREE.” — Steven Goldstein

    If a Vegas hotel manager reports he has only 55 rooms free what does it mean? Is that good news or bad? Of course we cannot know, for absent the total number of rooms in the hotel (is it 60 or 6000?), the number 55 is meaningless.

    As far as ICU bed occupancy goes, isn’t it important to know:
    — the number of beds occupied by COVID patients and the number occupied by others
    — the number of COVID patients who would be in the ICU anyway due to other serious issues
    — the number of beds filled by patients from that long list of ailing people delayed care due to the lockdowns
    — the normal number (or preferred percentage) of empty ICU beds
    — the total number of ICU beds in the county for each of the last five years
    — the number of beds occupied by patients from out-of-county, and of those, the number that are COVID positive

    From the start of this pandemic the public has been treated to one falsehood after another (the number of ICU beds in the county has, over the past year, appeared to be as variable as the Dow Jones), and yet the authorities responsible for the lies behave as if their credibility is sterling.

  9. PHUT AN ELLI wrote:

    “If a Vegas hotel manager reports he has only 55 rooms free what does it mean? Is that good news or bad? Of course we cannot know, for absent the total number of rooms in the hotel (is it 60 or 6000?), the number 55 is meaningless.”

    ACTUALLY A HOSPITAL’S ARE NOT A HOTEL. AND IN FACT WHEN THE FORCED LOCKDOWN LAST YEAR HAPPENED IT WAS BECAUSE WE HAD LESS THAT 15% OF THE TOTAL ICU BEDS AVAILABLE. THE FACT IS THAT IN DECEMBER 2020 WE FELL BELOW 15% AT A TOTAL OF 41 BEDS AVAILABLE. IF 41 BEDS IS EQUAL TO 15% OF THE ICU BED IN THE COUNTY THEN THERE ARE ONLY ABOUT 300 ICU BEDS IN THE COUNTY AS A TOTAL AMOUNT. YOU ARE BEING VERY DISHONEST WHEN YOU SAID:

    “From the start of this pandemic the public has been treated to one falsehood after another (the number of ICU beds in the county has, over the past year, appeared to be as variable as the Dow Jones), and yet the authorities responsible for the lies behave as if their credibility is sterling.”

    SINCE COVID CONSTANTLY CHANGES THE NUMBER OF PATIENTS YOU HAVE A POINT THERE. BUT THE TOTAL NUMBER OF BEDS HAS NEVER CHANGED. GET READY FOR THE 2ND CODE BLUE PERIOD THAT IS APPROACHING.

  10. “ACTUALLY A HOSPITAL’S ARE NOT A HOTEL.” — Steven Goldstein

    You think I would, after once trying to book a honeymoon suite at a Kaiser Hospital, remember that. Thanks for the helpful reminder.

  11. PHU TAN ELLI,

    WHY IS IT YOU AND YOUR FRIENDS TAKE IT PERSONALLY WHEN I AM JUST TRYING TO POINT OUT THE COLD REALITY?

    FUNNY YOU AREN’T EVEN ACKNOLEGING THAT WE HAVE SUCH LIMITED ICUS IN THE COUNTY. IT IS BECAUSE THEY NOT ONLY NEED TO BE HOUSED THE RIGHT WAY, WITH THE RIGHT EQUIPMENT, AND STAFFED WITH THE CERTFIED PROFESSIONALS.

    IN WHICH THERE IS A LIMITED SUPPLY THAT CANNOT BE CHANGED FOR AT LEAST ANOTHER 4 YEARS.

    MAYBE YOUR JUST TRYING TO “HIURT” ME BECAUSE I AM A CONVENIENT TARGET, YOU CANNOT “HURT” COVID.

  12. “WHY IS IT YOU AND YOUR FRIENDS TAKE IT PERSONALLY WHEN I AM JUST TRYING TO POINT OUT THE COLD REALITY?” — Steven Goldstein

    When you point out that a hospital is “actually” not a hotel you are not sharing the cold reality, you are sharing the view from your location on the spectrum (of whatever abnormality). Your participation on this site reminds me of a lab rat’s participation in a behavioral study: the brief glimpses of commonality with normal humans are significant only because they are so rare and unexpected.

  13. PHU TAN ELLI You wrote:

    “When you point out that a hospital is “actually” not a hotel you are not sharing the cold reality, you are sharing the view from your location on the spectrum (of whatever abnormality).”

    YOU ARE LIKE ELIZABETH HOLMES WHOSE SOCIOPATHIC PERSONALITY LED PEOPLE INTO THE CON OF THERANOS AND WATSON, AND SHE IN FACT HURT AND KILLED MANY PEOPLE. YOUR IRRATIONAL SELECTIVE PERCEPTION IS NOT GOING TO KILL OFF COVID, NOR IS IT GOING TO PROTECT MORE PEOPLE FROM IT. You wrote:

    “Your participation on this site reminds me of a lab rat’s participation in a behavioral study: the brief glimpses of commonality with normal humans are significant only because they are so rare and unexpected.”

    THE DEFINITION OF “NORMAL” IS SUBJECT TO THE PERSONS OWN DESIRES OF WHAT NORMALCY IS. IN ANY EVENT, THE TERM “NORMAL” IS NEVER USED AS A BENCHMARK FOR THE AREA OF MENTAL HEALTH. PERHAPS YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT IS NORMAL YOURSELF?

    WHEN YOU GET CONFRONTED WITH ANYONE’S LACK OF BLIND AGREEMENT, YOU CANNOT STAND IT. THAT IS A SIGN OF NARCISSISM. I AM ONLY DISCLOSING WHAT THE UNBIASED INFORMATION THERE IS. I AM NOT TRYING TO MANIPULATE OTHERS BY EITHER MISINFORMATION OR PERSONAL INSULTS. LIKE THE ONES YOU CONSTANTLY WRITE.

    THERE ARE ONLY 1,750 AVAILABLE ICU UNITS IN THE STATE (https://public.tableau.com/views/COVID-19HospitalsDashboard/Hospitals?:embed=y&:showVizHome=no) WHICH IS LESS THAN WHAT WE HAD IN MARCH OF 2020 BY 700 BEDS, AND WE HAVE NEVER RECOVERED TO THE EXTENT OF WERE WE WERE IN APRIL 2020 WHICH WAS 4,350. IN FACT, WE ARE EXACTLY IN THE SAME PLACE WE WERE IN DECEMBER 2020. PER THIS WEBSITE (https://www.kff.org/other/state-indicator/icu-beds/?currentTimeframe=0&sortModel=%7B%22colId%22:%22Location%22,%22sort%22:%22asc%22%7D) WE HAVE ONLY 8,130 ICU BEDS IN THE STATE. SO WE CURRENTLY HAVE ONLY 21% AVAILABLE BEDS IN THE STATE. TOO SHORT TO DEAL WITH ANY MORE CASES, LIKE WHEN DELTA-PLUS AND LAMBDA VARIANT WHEN THEY MATURE IN THE STATE.

  14. PHU TAN ELLI You wrote:

    “When you point out that a hospital is “actually” not a hotel you are not sharing the cold reality, you are sharing the view from your location on the spectrum (of whatever abnormality).”

    YOU ARE LIKE ELIZABETH HOLMES WHOSE SOCIOPATHIC PERSONALITY LED PEOPLE INTO THE CON OF THERANOS AND WATSON, AND SHE IN FACT HURT AND KILLED MANY PEOPLE. YOUR IRRATIONAL SELECTIVE PERCEPTION IS NOT GOING TO KILL OFF COVID, NOR IS IT GOING TO PROTECT MORE PEOPLE FROM IT. You wrote:

  15. PHU TAN ELLI You wrote:

    “Your participation on this site reminds me of a lab rat’s participation in a behavioral study: the brief glimpses of commonality with normal humans are significant only because they are so rare and unexpected.”

    THE DEFINITION OF “NORMAL” IS SUBJECT TO THE PERSONS OWN DESIRES OF WHAT NORMALCY IS. IN ANY EVENT, THE TERM “NORMAL” IS NEVER USED AS A BENCHMARK FOR THE AREA OF MENTAL HEALTH. PERHAPS YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT IS NORMAL YOURSELF?

    WHEN YOU GET CONFRONTED WITH ANYONE’S LACK OF BLIND AGREEMENT, YOU CANNOT STAND IT. THAT IS A SIGN OF NARCISSISM. I AM ONLY DISCLOSING WHAT THE UNBIASED INFORMATION THERE IS. I AM NOT TRYING TO MANIPULATE OTHERS BY EITHER MISINFORMATION OR PERSONAL INSULTS. LIKE THE ONES YOU CONSTANTLY WRITE.

  16. PHU TAN ELLI

    THERE ARE ONLY 1,750 AVAILABLE ICU UNITS IN THE STATE (https://public.tableau.com/views/COVID-19HospitalsDashboard/Hospitals?:embed=y&:showVizHome=no) WHICH IS LESS THAN WHAT WE HAD IN MARCH OF 2020 BY 700 BEDS, AND WE HAVE NEVER RECOVERED TO THE EXTENT OF WERE WE WERE IN APRIL 2020 WHICH WAS 4,350. IN FACT, WE ARE EXACTLY IN THE SAME PLACE WE WERE IN DECEMBER 2020. PER THIS WEBSITE (https://www.kff.org/other/state-indicator/icu-beds/?currentTimeframe=0&sortModel=%7B%22colId%22:%22Location%22,%22sort%22:%22asc%22%7D) WE HAVE ONLY 8,130 ICU BEDS IN THE STATE. SO WE CURRENTLY HAVE ONLY 21% AVAILABLE BEDS IN THE STATE. TOO SHORT TO DEAL WITH ANY MORE CASES, LIKE WHEN DELTA-PLUS AND LAMBDA VARIANT WHEN THEY MATURE IN THE STATE.

  17. “IN ANY EVENT, THE TERM “NORMAL” IS NEVER USED AS A BENCHMARK FOR THE AREA OF MENTAL HEALTH.” — Steven Goldstein

    Allow me to explain. In my analogy “normal” is what is typically posted here: opinions, observations, links to relevant stories, etc. The word, the way used, is not very specific. However, abnormal is how I view what you typically post here. You see, in my little, unaccredited study, you are the ever-scurrying lab rat.

  18. PHU TAN ELLI You wrote:

    “Allow me to explain.”

    NO EXPLANATION WILL WORK, BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT AN AUTHORITY ON ANYTHING. You wrote:

    “In my analogy “normal” is what is typically posted here: opinions, observations, links to relevant stories, etc.”

    BUT YOU DO NOT ACTUALLY WRITE SCIENTIFIC OPINIONS, NOR OBSERVATIONS, OR PROVIDE LINKS OF ANY UNBIASED FORM. SO, THIS IS NOT MAKING YOUR POINT ANY CLEARER. You wrote:

    “The word, the way used, is not very specific. However, abnormal is how I view what you typically post here. You see, in my little, unaccredited study, you are the ever-scurrying lab rat.”

    SO YOU ARE IN FACT ADMITTING THAT YOU CONTINUE TO ARGUE THAT YOUR ATTACK ON PERSONAL MEANS IS AS VALUABLE AS THE SCIENTIFIC UNBIASED INFORMATION I PRESENTED? THIS IS REALLY NOT THE SIGNS OF A RATIONAL MIND.

  19. “BUT YOU DO NOT ACTUALLY WRITE SCIENTIFIC OPINIONS…” — Steven Goldstein

    I acknowledged my study was unaccredited, making your analysis of my comment unscientific (as you overlooked a key component). Such sloppy analysis is not a surprise, coming for you, but I wonder, are you as sloppy in your IT work?

  20. PHU TAN ELLI You wrote:

    “I acknowledged my study was unaccredited, making your analysis of my comment unscientific (as you overlooked a key component).”

    WRONG, MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE PREMISES DO NOT MAKE FOR LOGICAL REASONING. THE FACT THAT A SCHOOL BUS IS YELLOW, BUT YOU CALL IT GREEN, AND I PROVE IT IS YELLOW DOES NOT MAKE MY ANALYSIS UNSCIENTIFIC. IT JUST MEANS YOU ARE ANGRY YOU GET CALLED OUT. THE REST IS JUST ANOTHER PERSONAL ATTACK

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *