Santa Clara County Covid-19 Testing Rate Drops by 34 Percent

Santa Clara County health officials are encouraging residents to get tested for the coronavirus as testing rates have dropped by 34 percent in the last 2 months

Health officials say testing is critical to understanding where the region stands in the pandemic, particularly as new variants continue to circulate in the region.

“If we are not testing robustly in the community, it narrows our view of where the virus is circulating, and to what level it is spreading. Testing also allows us to break the chains of transmission and reduce spread, which gives the virus less opportunities to replicate and mutate,” Dr. Marty Fenstersheib, county Covid-19 testing and vaccine cfficer, said in a statement.

County public health officials continue urging community members to practice social distancing and consistently wear face coverings, even if vaccinated.

For those who may have been exposed to the virus, testing remains free, easy, and confidential. It is available seven days a week and there are a number of options for different needs, including appointment or drop-in, drive-through or walk-up, and specimen collection by nasal swab or saliva. Frontline workers should get tested at least once a month and up to once every two weeks, and continue testing even after being vaccinated.

Testing will be available this week in San Jose, Gilroy, Sunnyvale, Morgan Hill, Santa Clara, Campbell and Palo Alto.

13 Comments

  1. What this means is that there is some problems with their situational awareness regarding COVID in the county. This is what they admit is going on.

    Now does that mean there is more COVID, IDK, because this could mean that people are getting sick, but not reporting. Or they are not being tested to find out that COVID is a persons health problem.

    In any event, the real story is that the county is falling behind on the monitoring of COVID and it may indeed be showing false good news regarding the spread in the County.

    This may be a systemic problem that will bite us in the near future

  2. “Bay Area County Health Officers set a goal of 200 tests per day per 100,000 people. ” or about 4K per day in Santa Clara County, which is currently averaging close to 15K tests a day. 15K>4K Santa Clara county is testing far more than necessary to maintain surveillance of Covid. Moreover, positivity rates < 1% indicate the surveillance is well in hand. Just more Scare tactics from The Ministry of Covid Compliance and their running dog media.

  3. GLOBALCORPORATISMFOREVER you wrote:

    “Bay Area County Health Officers set a goal of 200 tests per day per 100,000 people. ” or about 4K per day in Santa Clara County, which is currently averaging close to 15K tests a day. 15K>4K Santa Clara county is testing far more than necessary to maintain surveillance of Covid.”

    Please understand that the majority of the “quantity” of those tests are for “first responding” or in effect “REPEAT” test subjects. There are at least that many nurses, doctors, police, firefighters, and others in the county. So constantly testing the SAME people is not SITUATIONAL AWARENESS.

    I hate to say it but just counting the number of tests is simply not even a proper process to determine the efficacy of the testing process. So you are not really understanding the real problem then are you? This “process” is not actually giving us anything but a “body count” So when you wrote:

    “Moreover, positivity rates < 1% indicate the surveillance is well in hand. Just more Scare tactics from The Ministry of Covid Compliance and their running dog media.”

    That is of course your approach to everything, if the news is not favorable to you, then you say it is “fake” or a conspiracy of the “mainstream media”.

  4. I forgot to ask this question:

    Do the existing tests detect the newer variants? Why? Because the new indicated that these were determined by GENETIC SEQUNCING at the labs. Another question, these detections are they based on SYMPTOMATIC COVID patients or ASYMPTOMATIC?

    What most people are probably not aware of is that as viruses mutate, they also need the testing agents and processes to be updated. I find it difficult to believe that within say 2 months the testing process has changed to accommodate for the newer variants. The fact is that requires a complete testing validation process to be completed, then a formula change which is proven to be accurate for detection, then a complete production change which is proven to be providing the right agents, and then distribution of the new testing systems.

    What the people are simply not aware of is that our process has not kept up with the virus, and such VERY likely undercounting the infectious issues we are still in.

  5. In any case we are still at 75% capacity in ICU beds. We are only 10% short of being in a Code Blue condition again.

    BUT the “BLUEPRINT” data shows we are FAR below the rate of infection that should ACCOUNT for this level of hospitalization. In fact if you look at the SCC history we should be at only 50% capacity today.

    Something tells me we are getting A LOT OF FALSE NEGATIVE tests.

  6. “Santa Clara County health officials are encouraging residents to get tested for the coronavirus as testing rates have dropped by 34 percent in the last 2 months”

    And so have cases, hospitalizations and so on… This is quite terrifying to health directors and our governor as the justification for keeping their knees on our necks becomes even more untenable.

    “County public health officials continue urging community members to practice social distancing and consistently wear face coverings, even if vaccinated.”

    Without stating any evidence that any of the nonsense does anything at all other than to remind us of why we need to recall our governor and change laws so that health directors are held personally liable for needlessly destroying the millions of businesses, lives and the future of a generation of kids.

    “Health officials say testing is critical to understanding where the region stands in the pandemic, particularly as new variants continue to circulate in the region.”

    Yawn. We already went through 12 months of needless catastrophizing. No one is listening anymore.

    “If we are not testing robustly in the community, it narrows our view of where the virus is circulating, and to what level it is spreading.”

    Quite to the contrary. We’ve seen that needless testing provides a false justification for locking down healthy adults and kids who are at little to no risk from the virus.

  7. Joe,

    I understand the misconception, but as you are also aware, the fact that 30% of known infected are experiencing long term damages is sometimes WORSE than dying.

    If you want to know the facts, COVID is likely to add 10,000,000 people into the permanently disabled population, and many of those are young. They will not return to the same work they did in the past, and their loss to our economic engine is going to scar us for decades.

    The facts are that WE do not have any ability to test our way out of the process of trying to mitigate COVID, and that we are not going to keep pace with variants unless we take a stand and prevent enough new infections so that variants are slowed down, and new more powerful vaccines will finish the job.

    As I pointed out, since the tests come up negative, but there is still 75% ICU use, your claim that hospitalizations have gone down is wrong. What we have is a large increase in the failure of tests to prove a person has COVID or not. But then without that test positive, the medical community cannot claim the person is indeed infected with COVID

    That is the reason why you are seeing a drop in the SCC reported cases. They simply cannot provide enough multiple tests to eliminate the possibility of a false negative. And even the FDA, CDC, and the NIH are under pressure now to soft step the problem.

  8. Please consider this too?

    My field requires me to use PROVEN reliable tests to establish to the best of my ability the HEALTH of IT assets of an organization. And at this time, we cannot PROVE the current tests are working regarding COVID.

    The next stage of the game is if I have a PROVEN method of testing the results in my field can come up like this test passed (no finding), test failed (finding), update required (finding), update installing (finding), system restart required (finding), and no status (finding).

    In this situation testing can have 4 results true positive (infected), true negative (not infected), false positive (not infected) and false negative (infected). When there are questions regarding the results multiple tests should be performed by unique systems to minimize the possibility of false positives (not infected, and false negatives (infected).

    WE ARE NOT DO THIS AT ALL FROM THE DOCUMETATION I HAVE READ

    We simply are just guessing to what the real situation is still because we do not have a persistent monitoring process. However, can’t we test the sewer systems to determine the level of infection in a region? WHY IS THIS NOT HAPPENING?

    When we see that that monitoring iss indicating the lack of evidence of regional infection, THEN we have PROOF that the COVID is either under control or better GONE.

  9. You can spend all day long writing unsubstantiated notes here for Gavin and Quack Cody. Nothing you are likely being paid by them to write here can bring back our needlessly lost businesses, jobs or the future for a generation of kids.

    How about the “I’m a zoom parent” lie from Gavin while his kids have been in in person private schools for months while he locked our kids out of school?

    Or ‘We need to stay home while he goes out to dinner with his rich friends’?

    Please just stop with the lies and hypocrisy.

    Time for catastrophizing is long since past.

  10. JOE SMITH you wrote:

    “You can spend all day long writing unsubstantiated notes here for Gavin and Quack Cody.”

    It make take some time for this to post because of moderation, but here is the substantiation regarding post COVID syndrome and its effect on the young (https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/06/health/covid-children-mis-c.html) and (https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/literature-review-shines-light-on-long-covid#Cardiovascular-symptoms) and finally (https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/the-hidden-long-term-cognitive-effects-of-covid-2020100821133)

    The information about ICU beds is here (https://www.sccgov.org/sites/covid19/Pages/dashboard-hospitals.aspx#Occupancy) and here is the Santa Clara Blueprint status (https://www.sccgov.org/sites/covid19/Pages/blueprint-dashboard.aspx)

    I already have shown that the FDA cannot PROVE that the COVID tests are reliable regarding the variants, only 85% of the current ones are THOUGHT to not have a problem from Johns Hopkins seen here (https://www.jhsph.edu/covid-19/articles/variants-vaccines-and-what-they-mean-for-covid19-testing.html). But NOT proven. I think I am making a point here. INDEPENDENT research has proven your claim my notes are unsubstantiated is not true. You wrote:

    “Nothing you are likely being paid by them to write here can bring back our needlessly lost businesses, jobs or the future for a generation of kids.”

    I am not paid by anyone, nice try to claim I am an astroturfer, even though I have had communications with so many anonymous astroturfers on so many conversations. Joe Smith, if that is your REAL name, or is it an alias. I have no connection with any politician, so you can forget trying to make it sound like it. The rest of your writing doesn’t involve me at all.

  11. SCC has thousands of empty ICU beds. They took them out of the count last year to justify further needless shutdowns. People don’t seem to understand you can’t keep empty beds fully staffed because we hospitals have to pay their doctors and nurses. So, they bring online the beds they need. It is financially impossible to keep 50% of empty beds fully staffed. It’s all really dumb and why people would continue to defend poor decision making in California is baffling.

    Studies quoted remind me of the others who posted that covid causes long term lung damage. The study was performed on chain smokers. We have no scientists left in the world as far as I can tell.

  12. JOE SMITH you wrote:

    “SCC has thousands of empty ICU beds.”

    You need to PROVE this statement. And also understand just having a bed does not mean it is available, IF the required equipment and staffing to ensure the patients health care is up to standard. You wrote:

    “They took them out of the count last year to justify further needless shutdowns.”

    Again, PROVE that. If you expect us to believe an anonymous poster of criticisms. You wrote:

    “People don’t seem to understand you can’t keep empty beds fully staffed because we hospitals have to pay their doctors and nurses.”

    Wait, that was provided the funds during the Cares act and all the others, so that is a completely made up story. You know that. What really is the problem is that the PRIVATE healthcare system, which is the design of the Health Insurance and Care Industry was NEVER designed to deal with this crisis. So you are attacking the wrong target, and a false one at that. You wrote:

    “So, they bring online the beds they need. It is financially impossible to keep 50% of empty beds fully staffed. It’s all really dumb and why people would continue to defend poor decision making in California is baffling.”

    The PRIVATE Health Care system is the problem, California adopted the HMO and other systems to in effect remove California government from providing health care. In any event AGAIN, you need to show PROOF of this. You wrote:

    “Studies quoted remind me of the others who posted that covid causes long term lung damage. The study was performed on chain smokers. We have no scientists left in the world as far as I can tell.”

    Again, you need to PROVE that statement. Wait, we have the lowest record of people smoking in this country at this time. What in the world are you thinking? The CDC reported (https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/adult_data/cig_smoking/index.htm) that only 14% of people smoke in this country, that is 1 out of 7 possible patients if you have a random infection pattern. You think the CDC would not test or monitor EVERY COVID PATIENT?

    You seem to be just trying to find any EXCUSE to avoid taking responsible steps to cut infections and long term costs.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *