Just because the majority of the Public Intoxication Task Force quit the group last night doesn’t mean they are giving up on their mission to revamp police practices in San Jose.
“It would be a mistake to assume that we are suddenly going to go away,” says Skyler Porras, director of the ACLU, one of the community stakeholder groups that resigned from the task force Wednesday night.
Porras didn’t disclose much more insight about what the former task force members are plotting to continue their efforts.
The group – which includes La Raza Roundtable, NAACP and other organizations – fired off an email to City Manager Debra Figone last night, letting her know that they were resigning from the PI Task Force.
Figone sent a letter back to the task force members. “While I am disappointed that you have chosen to resign, I understand that your goals and hopes for the Task Force were different from those established by the City Council,” Figone said.
The task force, which also includes Police Chief Rob Davis, was assembled earlier this year after statistics suggested that police were targeting Latinos for being drunk in public.
The community groups on the task force have been demanding greater access to all 4,000-plus SJPD drunken arrest records. The chief released a sample of 280. Last week, the members refused to move forward on the discussion without those records. With
their demands unmet Wednesday night, Porras and others made a quick statement, got up and left the task force meeting.