Half of County’s 65-and-Over Residents Have Been Vaccinated

The Covid-19 vaccine rollout has been difficult and is taking longer than expected, but finally Santa Clara County officials say they are seeing notable progress.

On Monday, the county announced that more than half of residents 75 years and older and 43.7 percent of those 65 and older have received at least one dose of the vaccine.

This brings the county’s total to 232,761 residents partially or fully vaccinated, constituting 14.5 percent of the county’s population eligible for getting the vaccine (those 16 years and older).

County officials said this new milestone reflects “strong progress” toward their goal to get 85 percent of those 16 and older vaccinated by Aug. 1.

“It is heartening to see that as a county, we have made such great progress in vaccinating our older residents who are at very high risk of severe illness and death from Covid-19,” said Dr. Marty Fenstersheib, the county’s Covid-19 testing and vaccine officer.

Those 65 and older made up 81 percent of Covid-19 deaths and around 60 percent of hospitalizations, which is why they have been prioritized for the vaccine.

The next group of people prioritized and slated to get the vaccine starting March 15 are those ages 16 to 65 with at least one “severe health condition,” state health officials announced on Friday.

Those conditions include cancer, Down syndrome, pregnancy, stage four or higher kidney disease, pulmonary diseases necessitating oxygen, a weakened immune system due to an organ transplant, sickle cell disease, obesity, Type 2 diabetes and heart conditions like coronary artery disease and cardiomyopathies.

State guidelines allow counties to follow in similar suit, but Santa Clara County could delay vaccinations for the March 15 group at its own discretion.

In the past, the county waited to vaccinate those 65 years and older, despite the state giving the green light, because of low vaccine supply.

Fenstersheib said vaccine supply still remains a problem.

“This historic effort is saving lives, but we must continue to accelerate our work to reach our entire community, with particular focus on the communities most impacted by Covid-19,” Fenstersheib said. “In addition, we need sufficient vaccine supply from the state and federal government to achieve our goal of widespread community protection.”

Currently, those eligible for Covid-19 vaccination includes all health care workers, those in long-term care facilities and those 65 years and older.

Residents can make an appointment by visiting the sccfreevax.org site or by calling 211 for assistance in multiple languages.

The county also launched two mobile clinics that do not require appointments located at the Gilroy Senior Center, 7371 Hanna St., Gilroy, and the Public Health Story Road Hub, 1775 Story Road, San Jose.

Vaccinations will be available on Wednesdays in Gilroy starting at 8am and Thursdays and Fridays in San Jose with on-site registration starting at 8:30am.

51 Comments

  1. As predicted Proud Boy Haugb attacked the 49ers for opening the stadium fot vaccinations. Myers upset that all those brown people were there while Racisr Baikey said as along as minorities were there, he’d go somewhere else

  2. Another Oath Keeper heard from, Santa Clara’s head Klansman Burt Field upset that people were vaccinated without permission at Levi’s

  3. SJ Kulak,

    The schools will open when it is safe. But it looks like that will be some time now that the CDC has revised the guidelines. You can read them here (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/operation-strategy.html).

    I hope the vaccines do work, but we may have to wait at least another year before “getting back to normal”. First, to ensure the vaccines are working, and Second, that they didn’t cause any unanticipated problems, and Third, no new variants are escaping the vaccines.

  4. Our children need to be protected. The “older folks” need to get vaccinated. Some of them have a susceptibility to be sick. We should wait as long as it takes.

  5. SJ Kulak,

    Well, that proves that your objective is NOT a constructive conversation.

    I didn’t THINK anything here, but I did point out that it is unrealistic to say that once even if EVERYONE got vaccinated, normalcy will instantly happen

    In fact it will have to be GRADUALLY implemented, for example say only about 5% of the people vaccinated will be allowed to go without a mask for say 2 months so that the vaccines are proven to be working, then if that goes well say about 10% of those still masked and social distancing will be instructed to return to normal. Then it will be 15%, then 20%, then 25%, and finally 25%.

    If all works out then you might say we are “back to normal”. But if the vaccinated people systemically demasked and decontrolled show infections rise in that group, the process will have to back to “formula”.

    This is the SCIENCE at work, and it appears that you and your friends are not properly informed.

  6. In keeping with the practice of mainstream media outlets, Ms. Kadah’s piece leaves out vitally important parts of the story. In this case, Ms. Kadah completely overlooks the fact that the government health care system has been and is doing most of the essential work to combat, contain and defeat the coronavirus.

    Since the onset of the COVID-19 crisis, the County authorities have had to persistently cajole, mandate and, at times, fine for-profit hospitals to scale up their coronavirus testing efforts to meet community needs (https://www.sccgov.org/sites/covid19/Pages/order-health-officer-06-15-20.aspx; https://www.sanjoseinside.com/news/private-healthcare-systems-still-lagging-in-covid-19-tests/; https://sanjosespotlight.com/santa-clara-county-fines-hospitals-for-failing-to-comply-with-covid-19-testing-order).

    For their part, the for-profit hospitals lobbied to get back to their mainly privately-insured clientele and elective surgery-driven profit model. Some even furloughed staff, reduced staff salaries, closed a maternity ward in East San Jose and/or opted out of providing vaccinations to the public–all in the middle of an unprecedented pandemic (https://sanjosespotlight.com/are-south-bay-hospitals-ready-to-perform-elective-surgeries-amid-covid-19/; https://sanjosespotlight.com/markowitz-hca-jeopardizing-mothers-babies-with-planned-closure-at-regional-medical-center/; https://sanjosespotlight.com/following-covid-19-vaccine-scandal-good-samaritan-permanently-closes-vaccine-clinic/). Thus, while the community was confronting the most serious public health emergency in 100 years, the private hospitals ditched the Hippocratic Oath (https://www.nlm.nih.gov/hmd/greek/greek_oath.html) in favor of the bottom line on their balance sheets.

    Meanwhile, the government-run Santa Clara Valley Medical Center (SCVMC) provided the leadership, expertise, programming, outreach and the sheer capacity to spearhead the local response to the pandemic. SCVMC dominated coronavirus testing from the beginning, has consistently dominated treatment and now dominates coronavirus vaccinations (https://www.sccgov.org/sites/covid19/Pages/dashboard-testing.aspx#hstesting; https://www.sccgov.org/sites/covid19/Pages/dashboard-vaccine.aspx; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujJeH66tyB8).

    In short, the government response to COVID-19 has staved off total disaster. Could there be a clearer or more compelling example–in this case a local one–of the superiority and efficacy of large-scale government programs and interventions in tackling large-scale societal problems? (Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal comes to mind here.)

  7. John,

    If I drink the kool-aid, I die right?

    What I described is the SAFEST method of returning to normal, given that it carefully tracks and if problems start to occur, they get detected as soon as it can be. I am trying to be CAREFUL because granted the vaccines are given the “Emergency Use Authorization”, they are still experimental. Thereby I am doing the “prevention” that should be done, rushing people into taking the vaccine simply to say they are vaccinated is not necessarily wise. I would like it is we tried that approach with administration of the vaccines too. Thus I am not making anyone drink the kool-aid.

    In reality, many like yourself are telling EVERYONE, “get over it” and “people die”, right?

    I think it is people like yourself, HOAPres, and the like that are actually say to those that don’t agree with you “DRINK THE KOOL AID”, in other words make everyone take the vaccines and so what if you get hurt or die.

  8. Their sickness affects everyone. The solution is simple. All the “old folks” need to get vaccinated. If they don’t want to, then they should stay in quarantine.

  9. No. “Drinking the kool-aid” means unquestioningly believing what you’re told by your idols and obediently doing what they tell you to do.

  10. John,

    Nothing of what you just said makes ANY sense.

    Since SCIENCE is my idol, and it requires its disciples to use the SCIENTIFIC method to validate and affirm EVERYTHING.

    Unlike religion, that is “faith-based” where the motivation is to pit people against each other, oh isn’t that LIBERTARIANISM too?

    Never use the product “kool-aid” because that was a POISONED METHOD OF MASS KILLING in history, remember Jonestown?

  11. The phrase “drinking the kool-aid” is based on the Jonestown tragedy and is used to indicate unquestioning acceptance and blind trust in some person or institution. It does not literally mean drinking poisoned kool-aid and dying. This probably wasn’t explained in Billy Madison so you can be excused for not knowing it.

  12. John,

    What’s your point? I just pointed out that SCIENCE is my “idol”, and it clearly is not based on unquestioning acceptance and blind trust in some person or institution. You just are trying to distract from the real issue, that COVID has us by the throat until it is PROVEN to be under sufficient control to move forward. Everyone is trying to be “hopeful” but I think you can have hope, but prepare for the worst at the same time. The sooner that people get this adjustment achieved, the more people can become focused, balanced, and prepared to cope with it.

  13. FACENDO GUAIO Feb 16, 2021 @ 10:32 pm
    Goldstein has been almost single-handedly and admirably taking on, and taking down, the Trumpista libertarians like hoapres, who combine a homicidal attitude toward people vulnerable to corona virus contagion, with open incitement, including incitement to violence, against public health authorities seeking to minimize potential harm to the public.

    The experts tell us the way to clinically treat sociopaths like hoapres is to: 1) acknowledge that they may not be able to fully understand your emotions; 2) explain to them how their behavior affects others and causes harm; 3) make our boundaries explicitly clear to them; 4) offer specific consequences for harmful behaviors (https://www.healthline.com/health/mental-health/sociopath).

    As hoapres says, at some point you have to say enough is enough. Well, we have arrived “at some point.” Let’s not give these hucksters–most of whom are landlords/slumlords themselves–free rent in the space between our ears. No vacancies here. They’ll get over it “at some point.”

  14. So you don’t have kids means I don’t care what you think about kids. No kids, renter, temp worker, fulltime troll. Wife? What experience do you have to offer to make me care? You barely know what life is.

    Please.

  15. SJ Kulak,

    WOW such LIBERTARIAN nonsense. You have no clue of my experience in life, nor my understanding of so much. You instead resort again to “name-calling” which is a false argument. It literally is a non-denial denial of reality..

    You remind me of CHARLES SHERROD: I remember a statement that Chief Pritchett made to me one time when he said, “You know Sherrod, it’s just a matter of MIND over MATTER. I don’t MIND and you don’t MATTER.” That didn’t go well for him and history if I remember correctly.

    Notice, I don’t resort to your tactics, just use logic, evidence and reasoning. And that is something you find most intolerable.

  16. I see a bunch of words, but little else. These kids need to go back to school, they are falling too far behind, if there is a trade off, kids win. This whole charade of not killing grandma is mass virtue signalling, easier to protect grandma than make up two years of education of kids two years behind already. A parent knows this.

    What you fail to recognize is the strength of your own bias in what you choose as supporting facts. Your certainty is your tell. This is about as grey a situation imaginable, none of these decisions where made by “the science” and they maintain part by inertia, part by fear, part by partisanship, and part by the union. Science says kids dont spread, science says you get this at home, science says air volume, UV light, and viral load matters, and that science is obfuscated and light. This is not a cut and dry “follow the science” situation, and under such circumstances you do the least harm, which is quarantine the sick, sequester the vulnerable, and keep on keeping on with the rest. While you bellow on about logic, debate rules, and evidence, you fail to question your own bias, which is why you are certain. And that is why your opinions mean nothing to me, because a man with no skin in the game has the wrong perspective and easily ignores their own blindspots, because there is nothing lost once you realize you are deluding yourself.

  17. SJ Kulak,

    The “GRAY” areas are the MOST dangerous because what happens is that the “simplification” of research reporting because of the target audiences tend to give misleading impressions.

    I remember when the AIDS problem hit, and when the CDC wrote that you got it from sex, but wrote it in such a way that people like yourself said that was a “grey” area. So for example the “bath houses” used it to prevent them from being closed. Only after many more years did the scientists finally just say it was, and by than more people DIED, and the “bath houses” were closed for good.

    Then came the organs and blood supply problem with AIDS and that game replayed itself again, and thousands of people died because no one wanted to take the safest path for in medical practices.

    Yes, the “science” has been painfully slow, because of the “downplay” from Donald Trump and the lack of real research. The funding and research has been slowed because if the scientists laid down the real facts, the “economics” of the problem would be a very ugly bitter pill. We literally replayed the AIDS problem. But since this is a air-borne virus, it blew up. And if you think it is over, just realize that the South African variant is proving to outmaneuver the Pfizer vaccine, that vaccine doesn’t work on it.

    As far as “skin” in the game, I have my health, my friends health, and my community’s health, so yes I have BIG skin in the game.

  18. You prove my point. If you are worried about your health and if youre vulnerable, sequester yourself. If you have it, quarantine yourself, if you get it and your 75+ youre likely going to die. So sequester yourself, this was known last March. You are selfish to expect everyone to stop thier life to keep you and your friends safe. Kids are committing suicide, disappearing, and falling so far behind it will ruin their life. The stress that creates is leading to domestic violence, drug overdoses and general depression, but so what about that because your health, right?

    Statistically, this is a cold to people under 50. Kids are not spreaders, it is not getting transmitted from kids to adults. It is being spread because people are home too long, upping the viral load in a low volume of air change and no UV light.

    Get kids back in school, outside and moving. Get working age people out doing their job, they will be better off. If youre old and sick already, stay home and wear a mask. Wearing a mask outside is stupid. Wearing one in a home with people who mingle outside makes more sense.

    This is nothing like AIDS. AIDS, even for sexual active homosexuals and drug users could be handled through protection and if you got it, you couldnt recover with your own immunity. If you get COVID and your not obese, diabetic, or old most will barely notice it.

    This obsession with controlling people through fines and lockputs has zero “the science” behind it and resonates with control freaks and people who dont have anything to worry about but themselves and their “friends”.

    Blood is far thicker, and any parent I know sacrifices everything for their kids, all except baby boomers, who only care about their own generation.

    Your analogies are as poor as your facts. You have lived a selfish and overly cautious life, you have nothing real at stake, no business, no house, no kids, this perspective and its inherrent bias is dangerous to the future, because you only care about it in an abstract way.

  19. I believe in science.
    Science, I’m not seeing much of it these days. I see political rhetoric passed of as science. Nearly every thing that was declared as factual and scientific by the so called experts, politicians and News people about Covid-19 was wrong. 99.7% of people survive this disease. My wife and I, diabetic, obese, high blood pressure etc and over 70, survivors of Covid-19, I had a cold for 3 days and flunked a covid-19 test. Don’t need your shot now. Don’t need the mask that didn’t work, Don’t need to quarantine.
    So when does our world return to normal? Maybe when the Uncle Joe regime is replaced in 2024?
    For this we have faith, and pray for.

  20. I saw Gavin recently saying, I believe, I believe, I believe… Not clear to me that he understands science. These statistics from yesterday say

    https://www.ocregister.com/2021/02/19/coronavirus-tracker-california-reported-7244-new-cases-425-new-deaths-and-410-fewer-hospitalizations-on-feb-18/

    3,492,363 cases in California with 48,349 deaths. That’s a survival rate of 98.6% (so far), which is much worse than the 99.7% quoted above.

    Maybe you think there are many more undiagnosed (asymptomatic) cases or that most of those deaths are really due to some other cause. But statistics say the death rate is more than 1% statewide.

  21. https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/COVID-19/COVID-19-Cases-by-Age-Group.aspx

    Well, let’s see.

    40.1% of those that died in California where over 80, which is roughly the average life expectancy in CA.

    91.3% of those that died in California where over 50.

    1.4% of those that died in California where under 35.

    14 out of the 47537, or 0.02%, people that died in California where under 17, or school aged.

    https://freopp.org/comparing-the-risk-of-death-from-covid-19-vs-influenza-by-age-d33a1c76c198

    Or, a school aged child in 2017 was 1.26x more likely to die of the flu than COVID in 2020-21. And if your child was 4 or under, they would be 3.40x more likely to die from the flu.

    https://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/pdf/leading_causes_of_death_by_age_group_2017-508.pdf

    That is qualified of course they died with COVID, not necessarily from COVID. Now death is a tragedy, no doubt. But kids die on the way to school in car accidents, homicide, playing sports, drug overdoses, suicide, neoplasms, and by unintentional injury by the thousands and we don’t cancel school, we don’t shut down the economy, we don’t end life.

    Stop your whining
    Stop your obfuscations
    Stop your strawmen arguments
    Stop your recitation of your white privilege debate rules
    Stop your political partisanship

    OPEN THE SCHOOLS.

    You are only hurting the worst students keeping them closed.

  22. SJ KULAK you wrote:

    “You prove my point. If you are worried about your health and if youre vulnerable, sequester yourself. If you have it, quarantine yourself, if you get it and your 75+ youre likely going to die. So sequester yourself, this was known last March.”

    The U.S. and the California CONSTITUION simply states that it DOESN’T matter how small or how old anyone is regarding public safety. And you know it, but you wrote:

    “You are selfish to expect everyone to stop thier life to keep you and your friends safe. Kids are committing suicide, disappearing, and falling so far behind it will ruin their life. The stress that creates is leading to domestic violence, drug overdoses and general depression, but so what about that because your health, right?”

    All I can say is you are trying to “PIT” one group against another as any LIBERTARIAN would do when you find yourself arguing a invalid argument. “Have you no shame?” You wrote:

    “Statistically, this is a cold to people under 50. Kids are not spreaders, it is not getting transmitted from kids to adults. It is being spread because people are home too long, upping the viral load in a low volume of air change and no UV light.”

    Actually again, there is more and more evidence showing that people who appear to recover actually have long term impairments. You are saying this only to give a false image that it is just like a “cold”, the medical community has clearly demonstrated that is NOT correct. You wrote:

    “This is nothing like AIDS. AIDS, even for sexual active homosexuals and drug users could be handled through protection and if you got it, you couldnt recover with your own immunity. If you get COVID and your not obese, diabetic, or old most will barely notice it.”

    I just pointed out you are medically WRONG. But you cannot accept the fact that it is NOT a “COLD” or a “FLU”, it does damage to the entire body from the Brain to even the digestive tract. Maybe you should be listening to the medical reporters? You wrote:

    “This obsession with controlling people through fines and lockputs has zero “the science” behind it and resonates with control freaks and people who dont have anything to worry about but themselves and their “friends”.”

    This is just paranoic ranting, you wrote:

    “Blood is far thicker, and any parent I know sacrifices everything for their kids, all except baby boomers, who only care about their own generation.”

    WOW, talking about nothing but personal attacks here, you wrote.

    “Your analogies are as poor as your facts. You have lived a selfish and overly cautious life, you have nothing real at stake, no business, no house, no kids, this perspective and its inherrent bias is dangerous to the future, because you only care about it in an abstract way.”

    You can BELIEVE that, but many in the REAL world don’t agree with you.

  23. Mr. Goldstein,

    Darwin and the Bible agree with me. Reproduction is the core believe of both, self-selecting out of it is just that, self-selecting. Not matter would you tell yourself and how many people agree with you.

    You have nothing to offer but your selfish despair, fear, and rationalizations, yet you cling to the delusion you use reason.

    Sad really. I hope all of us pray for you, I will tomorrow.

    Bless.

  24. M.T. GUNN you wrote:

    “I believe in science.

    Science, I’m not seeing much of it these days. I see political rhetoric passed of as science. Nearly every thing that was declared as factual and scientific by the so called experts, politicians and News people about Covid-19 was wrong. 99.7% of people survive this disease. My wife and I, diabetic, obese, high blood pressure etc and over 70, survivors of Covid-19, I had a cold for 3 days and flunked a covid-19 test. Don’t need your shot now. Don’t need the mask that didn’t work, Don’t need to quarantine.

    So when does our world return to normal? Maybe when the Uncle Joe regime is replaced in 2024?

    For this we have faith, and pray for.”

    You may have had “ONE VARIANT” of COVID, there are now reports that there are as many as 10 new ones, and you can get reinfected and sick as proven by the medical researchers. At the same time, have you been monitored for ANY remaining damages? The reality is that you are STILL at risk, especially from what I read about the South African variant, the Pfizer vaccine doesn’t work on it.

    You are choosing to be more risky in your life, it is your choice, but the public has the right to take actions to protect itself. That is why we are trying to practice “Safer” living.

  25. VACANCY VAQUERO You wrote:

    “Maybe you think there are many more undiagnosed (asymptomatic) cases or that most of those deaths are really due to some other cause. But statistics say the death rate is more than 1% statewide.”

    Again, the “numbers” of people getting sick or dying is a red herring, the U.S. and the California Constitution’s declare any SINGLE life or persons health must be EQUALLY protected. It doesn’t matter how small the minority is.

  26. SJ KULAK,

    I will skip a big portion of your writing because again the U.S. and the California Constitution’s DON’T give a damn about how small a group or minority is, they protect every SINGLE persons life and health, case closed. You wrote:

    “That is qualified of course they died with COVID, not necessarily from COVID. Now death is a tragedy, no doubt. But kids die on the way to school in car accidents, homicide, playing sports, drug overdoses, suicide, neoplasms, and by unintentional injury by the thousands and we don’t cancel school, we don’t shut down the economy, we don’t end life.”

    Talking about hyperbole, you said we “don’t shut down the economy”? Well actually during the Spanish Flu and Polio WE DID. Unfortunately, COVID got out and spread all over before we could do a surgical “isolation and tracing” and you KNOW this. This is not a shock, it was always a step we took in the past and we will do so in the future. In fact people in my field have been prepared to respond to this kind of problem for years. Then you said we “don’t end life?” Actually, life is going on, it is just not the “life” you “like”. And in fact, if we take your suggested action you will cause people to be infected at the very least, many will suffer long term impairments upon recovery, or die.

    This is getting repetitive, an example of a circular validation system comprised of SJ Kulak, M.T. Gunn, John Galt (whoever he really is)

  27. My life is fine, best ever.

    My tenants are at zero rent debt, my rents are still about 15% below market, I just refi’ed everything down to the threes, bought two properties outside the US, my bitcoin is cranking, my 7th and 8th graders got As in classes I took in 10th and 11th grade, yet they still get to play sports and go face to face a few days a week, my reserves have never been fatter. My lifts as I eclipse my 40s are as strong as ever (maybe 10% off PB) and I have even convinced my wife to hit the Rogue Rack we bought. Stay-cations have popped my vacation rental income nicely, and I spent two months up in the mountains last year when everything went remote. It was AWESOME.

    COVID is great for me, fantastic for my family.

    Its the poor’s life that sucks under this. Their kids are falling far too behind and actually detaching from the education system far more than normal. The poor are in a debt hole my optimism would be challenged to overcome and they are getting the COVID because rent control and causa justa has further ghettoized them into overcrowded, chaotic, leaded, moldy apartment farms. And the parents, grandparents, and kids are all stuck there. Your way is a crime against humanity. And its just sad, very sad, like you. I try to fix it, you try to extend and expand it because you think you know what safety is. You know nothing of safety. Safety is moving forward, facing your fears, and accelerating through your mistakes, not freezing half way up the climb.

  28. hmmm Polio…

    https://www.aier.org/article/no-lockdowns-the-terrifying-polio-pandemic-of-1949-52/

    Polio looked brutal from 1947 to 1953, making 1916 look tame. At the beginning of 1947 the GDP as $243.1B, by the end of 1953 it was $386.0B. During the polio epidemic, pandemic, end of the world when the economy was shut down as you claim, the GDP grew 58.7%.

    Maybe check your work before bloviating. Like checking the history of South Carolinian Senate membership.

  29. SJ Kulak,

    Remember, that was when the GI bill and so many “social” programs and the full power on Keynesian economics was in full power. Homes being built, new factories, new products, like TVs, it was a boom no matter what was happening. In effect the FEDERAL GOVERNMET made that GDP increase. I can only imagine what the economy would have been like without Polio.

    And again, that was a time when Polio was able to be “isolated” because the “transportability” of the people in the country was significantly limited. No major highways, nor airlines, not much train usage for commuting.

    That is the DIFFERENCE, especially now that our economy is so “service” based. Then it was still strongly agricultural and manufacturing.

    So you have good data, but the basis behind then in comparison to today is completely off.

  30. yet again with cog dis

    You said the economy was shut down, now you say it was fueled by Keynesian Economics, or the opposite of a shutdown.

    had this been an argument about Hayek vs Keynes, that would be different. Your failed point was about Polio and COVID, now you are changing the subject because you can’t seem even be honest with yourself.

    Cog dis is a painful threshold, but to become a functioning member of society and a free thinker, you must cross it.

    This is why you are so angry, this is why you are in so much despair. The emotional cost of changing your mind based on facts is too hard to overcome, it is just easier to still think price controls and Authoritarianism is correct and keeping vulnerable people safe.

  31. In Orwell’s 1984 the vast majority of the citizens of Oceania were unquestioningly supportive of and obedient to the authoritarian regime and dutifully accepted as gospel any news or “facts” that were presented to them by the party’s Ministry of Truth. The “enlightened” majority swallowed everything that came from those in whom they’d placed their faith. Just like our Goldstein.
    The ruling party selected one individual who would symbolize the face of all those who questioned the their policies and against whom the ovine masses could direct their rage. Ironically, in the novel this guy’s name was Goldstein.
    My estimation of the Goldsteins has lately dropped a peg or two!

  32. SJ Kulak And John Galt,

    Just understand no matter what, the safety of the people is the only priority. If you read this maybe you will reconsider (https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-vaccine-updates-02-19-21/h_f2d7307839fbe68e7ee270be6e858cf4))

    “30% of people with Covid-19 continue to have symptoms up to 9 months after infection, study finds
    From CNN’s Nadia Kounang

    New research published Friday in the journal JAMA Network Open finds that 30% of people with Covid-19 continue to have symptoms up to nine months after initial infection.

    In the longest follow-up of Covid-19 patients to date, researchers followed 177 individuals with laboratory-confirmed Covid-19 diagnoses for up to nine months, and found that about 30% continue to have persistent symptoms.

    Of the 177 patients followed, 150 (84.7%) were never hospitalized and considered to have mild illness and 11(6.2%) were asymptomatic. 23 out of the 177 also had hypertension.

    Meanwhile, 49 (32.7%) of non-hospitalized patients and 5(31.3%) of patients with severe disease reported having at least 1 in the follow up.

    A previous study of the same group found that 36% of non-hospitalized patients had lingering symptoms 2-3 weeks after initial diagnosis.

    The most common symptoms were fatigue reported by 24 patients (13.6%) and loss of taste or smell reported by another 24 patients (13.6%).

    Overall, 23 patients (13%) reported other symptoms including cough, trouble breathing, and muscle aches. 4 patients (2.3%) said they continued having brain fog. Among the 16 hospitalized patients, more than 80% reported to still have trouble breathing. More than 80% of the hospitalized group also reported still having a cough and more than 80% of the group also reported feeling feverish up to 9 months after diagnosis.

    More than 30% of respondents reported worse quality of life compared to before getting sick. And 14 participants (8%) — including 9 people who had not been hospitalized — reported having trouble performing at least one usual activity, such as daily chores.

    While the researchers noted the small sample size was a limitation, they wrote that with 57.8 million cases worldwide, “even a small incidence of long-term debility could have enormous health and economic consequences.” wrote the researchers.”

    This report was published in the Journal; of the American Medical Association. They haven’t made a conclusive statement, but we cannot AFFORD to take the chances, can WE?

  33. “Just understand no matter what, the safety of the people is the only priority.”

    What an utter load of BS.

    If that were true, it would be illegal:

    To drive. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_vehicle_fatality_rate_in_U.S._by_year

    To eat sugar. https://www.livescience.com/51385-sugary-drinks-global-deaths.html

    To be fat. https://ourworldindata.org/obesity

    To drink alcohol. https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/brochures-and-fact-sheets/alcohol-facts-and-statistics#:~:text=%20Alcohol%20and%20the%20Human%20Body:%20%201,in%203%20liver%20transplants%20in%20the…%20More

    To ride your bike. https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/home-and-community/safety-topics/bicycle-deaths/#:~:text=Bicycle-related%20deaths%20peak%20in%20the%20summer%20months,%20starting,September%20(119)%20and%20the%20fewest%20in%20February%20(58).

    To have kids. https://www.webmd.com/baby/news/20171116/bearing-burden-of-maternal-mortality#:~:text=Beyond%20the%20women%20who%20lose%20their%20lives,%20many,CDC%20study.%20These%20risks%20are%20not%20shared%20equally.

    To go to war. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_by_death_toll#:~:text=Ancient%20wars%20%20%20%20War%20%20,Central%20Asi%20…%20%2011%20more%20rows

    To work. https://www.osha.gov/data/commonstats

    To take a shower. https://www.latimes.com/health/la-xpm-2011-jun-09-la-heb-bathroom-injuries-20110609-story.html

    Safety is A priority.

    Any reasonably thoughtful person knows safety is not the only priority. We live in a multivariant world, which Ms. Cody and those that push “follow the science” fail to understand. Especially since there was no science behind these decisions. But you continue to expose your bias with these posts. Yes, to you, safety is the only priority/ Which is why you love the lock-outs, love price controls, love excessive regulation, which is why your eyes can’t see any data which contradicts that worldview, because you can’t see how these things don’t make you safer, just more controlled.

  34. SJ Kulak and John Galt,

    You go ahead you you take your OWN risks. But you cannot dictate that ALL of us have to.

    If the 30% proves to be a conservative number given the already counted people infected as of today which is 28.1 Million people, 30% of of those comes to 8.4 Million people, and lets conservatively say that only 40% of those are “Workers” and are significantly impaired for life, that means we just lost 3.3 Million workers in the U.S. alone FOREVER.

    There are 165 Million possible workers in the U.S., that means we just lost 2% of our workforce FOREVER. These people are the “BACKBONE” of our economy right.

    But lets say these 3.3 Million are “Disabled” and they are granted say $3000 a month to live off due to Social Security Disability Insurance, that means that cost annually will be $120,960,000,000 a year. That cost per person in the workforce is $733 each until all of these people die.

    This is just the “life support” not the MEDICAL bills. That cost could be as much as another $3000 a month easily, if not much more.

    And that is todays numbers, it is increasing still because people like yourselves say we HAVE to take RISKS.

    You wonder WHY I stress control and risk avoidance? This is why. The idea that many of these people can be critical to the future of “capitalism” because of the loss of skills and innovation when they are gone, will never recover.

    My Business Education and Degree is in Human Resources, I have a good idea what I am talking about.

    If you think I am just trying to see the destruction of capitalism, god, you really don’t understand that COVID is the threat to it and your approach will in effect nail captalism into the coffin.

    Your short sighted view about what is the real threat to capitalism is amazing.

  35. “You go ahead you you take your OWN risks. But you cannot dictate that ALL of us have to.”

    I think you have read too much of my wisdom, because you are starting to catch on, even for an HR grad. Now I am really understanding why you are so misguided, and why it has taken you so long to benefit from my gifts.

    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-court-religion-california/u-s-supreme-court-sides-with-challenge-to-californias-covid-19-religious-service-curbs-idUSKBN28D2B2

    You don’t want the risk, hide in your hole. I think we finally all agree.

  36. SJ Kulak,

    Your information is already out of date. And what does Churches have to do with “capitalism”? What does “religion” have to do with “business”? You are no “preacher” and I see no “gifts”. You are a Kulak defined as :

    “a peasant in Russia wealthy enough to own a farm and hire labor. Emerging after the emancipation of serfs in the 19th century the kulaks resisted Stalin’s forced collectivization, but millions were arrested, exiled, or killed.”

    At least as I pointed out, I am trying tp PRESERVE capitalism, but your short sighted actions are putting it in major jeopardy.

    The recent court cases seen here shows that your argument is simply out of date, at least for now. :

    “Santa Clara County officials are applauding a federal court’s ruling that affirmed a local ban on indoor gatherings.

    The ruling reversed the court’s earlier decision to provide an exception for churches to the county’s prohibition of indoor gatherings of any kind, after determining that the ban does not single out churches or houses of worship.

    Friday’s temporary ruling by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit extends the county’s ban on indoor gatherings to include churches once again, which allows the ban to remain until the court makes a final decision.

    County officials heralded the decision in a statement issued over the weekend.

    “The Ninth Circuit’s decision affirms that the County’s health orders are neutral, across-the-board rules focused on preventing the spread of Covid-19,” County Counsel James Williams said. “Many in our community are eager to gather indoors together, including for indoor worship, but it is vitally important that we continue to keep our community safe and do everything we can bring the pandemic under control.”

    Williams noted the efforts of the local faith community in the county’s official statement.

    “We are grateful for the continued leadership of our faith community in the Covid-19 response,” Williams said. “The vast majority of our faith community have been gathering outdoors or online so that they can worship safely and protect the broader community from serious illness and death. And our faith community continues to partner with the county to support vaccination, testing, and other critical efforts to get all of us through to the other side of this pandemic.”

    GOD is not going to save the human race, nor business, that is just “wishful” thinking.

  37. “GOD is not going to save the human race, nor business, that is just “wishful” thinking.”

    Nothing will save the human race, there is a beginning and an end. Everything ends, in religion as in science. The Bible is clear not everyone gets saved.

    I see you again purposely miss the point, I guess you are not so grateful as I thought. Let believers attend Cavalry Chapel and take their own risks, by your own logic. By your statement above, in which you mock their religion, let them take their risks and see if God saves them. I think the Lord works in mysterious ways, and even if you shuffle off this mortal coil, in my religion, is does not mean you aren’t saved.

    No one claims you are a communist, your fans ECONOCLAST, SALEM, and Mr. Trouble are. I claim your strict pessimism makes you a failure at capitalism, making you fail to act. There is nothing wrong with the principle of acceptable loss, I use it in every decision I make. I wear a mask, not because its the law, but because the risk/reward doesn’t pencil in. I lived in Taiwan and they believe it works. It is a faith thing for me, I have faith in Taiwanese, thus I have faith in masks. The facts are a bit more dubious, at least pre-political hijacking of “the mask science.”

    Shutting down the schools, businesses, churches is very damaging on levels seen and unseen, and it is quite clear to me the cure is worse than the disease. You of course won’t read too much about that because it is counter-narrative to the push to stifle debate on the government’s consistent infringement of our rights and grotesque overreach. It certainly wasn’t the case that “the science” they had last spring said shutdown, lockouts and fines was going to work better. I would think science will take a long time to collect data, set up controls, look for subtle ways to falsify, then debate it, at least I hope they will. Because any honest person knows there is no such thing as “the science” or settled science. Science by its definition changes, and any control against scientific debate is anti-science, especially for Authoritarian purposes, like shutting down churches.

  38. SJ Kulak,

    Sometimes the wise person chooses NOT to act for action sake.

    This is much of the study you get from reading Sun Tzu’s The Art of War.

    The fact is that taking action for “actions’ sake can be a VERY bad idea, especially where there is no rational basis to do it other than to seek the security of past comfort. That kind of action has cause 2 distinct surges in infection since the COVID initial invasion.

    On could say that your actions cause even more damages. When are you going to acknowledge that the attempts to ‘claim’ control of COVID all during 2020 have been false, except when the strictest prevention processes were engaged and enforced? Like even the current reductions due to CODE BLUE.

    Your choice of action for action sake is just proven to be self destructive. And there is nothing you can say to disprove it.

    But people with narciissistic tendencies that must be the “chosen” ones to solve the problems, (which they created) will repeat this so they can claim to be a “winner”. It is the so called “return to order from chaos” effect when the “chaos ” was actually started by the one “returning order”.

  39. Action for action sake is not what is being proposed. I have already stated I follow the principle of acceptable loss, an intrinsically pessimistic outlook that assumes failure and assess my acceptance of that failure path. It assumes all activities are valuable on the success path.

    If I would never have gotten a job after college, I am okay with that. It was definitely worth it.

    If I get COVID at church, I am okay with that. Mass is one of the great joys of life.

    If I can’t fill my apartments, I am okay with that. Better than being a wage slave and make my boss rich.

    If I loose my house, I am okay with that. Better than being a rent slave and make my landlord rich.

    If my kids turn out to be unemployed, or end up in jail, I am okay with that. I can not imagine not having kids.

    If my wife leaves me for the cable guy, I am okay with that. Marriage is the best event in a string of very fortunate events that encompass my life. It’s a chance you’ve got to take if you want to live a full life with kids and a family.

    If I miss out on the joy of free climbing El Capitan, I am okay with that. Just not worth the chance of failing to my death.

    If I miss out on the joy of driving a Bentley, I am okay with that too. Just not worth the burning of money.

    If I miss out on the joy of a startup, I am okay with that too. Too much BS and liar’s poker for my taste, and I have seen what life is like in the oxygen-less, barren desert of startup nation. I was a safe harbor for many when I was a corporate VP and many were begging to be bought at the end.

    I do things that lower the chances of each worst case outcome, and don’t do things that are inconsistent with my view of the good life. But I am not alive if I am so afraid of the potential outcomes or so full of despair that I ruin other peoples’ lives around me.

    Pray, have faith, grind, and live.

    So far so good.

  40. Kumbaya, Kulak, kumbaya. It sounds like, in addition to real estate and bitcoin, you’ve cornered the market on happy pills. Where did the social Darwinian, half-Irish, half-Ukranian, half-delusional market fundamentalist go? What about the “harvesting souls for heaven” project? Did you get a new memo from Opus Dei or something? I hope you haven’t overdone the mortification thing in ways that negatively effected your reasoning capacities (https://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~rwest/wikispeedia/wpcd/wp/o/Opus_Dei.htm).

    On other hand, there is still the homicidal attitude toward unnecessarily endangering untold millions by forcing schools to open prematurely. Keep in mind, there are new variants that multiply the potential dangers and about which there is still inconclusive evidence as to additional risks. As Goldstein has indicated, the CDC has issued nuanced and sensible guidelines for school re-opening. Let’s follow the lead of the organizations with a track record of research and application on these matters. And let’s always be pushing for maximum material support to families for basic incomes, for rent, for educational interventions and other assistance and to finance these with progressive income and wealth taxes.

  41. Mr Trouble,

    I still attempt to harvest souls for heaven, but in the meantime, I house them in clean and safe places at affordable prices while I invest my efforts to cultivating civilization along with my wife the best we can one child at a time. I did pray for Mr Goldstein yesterday, and will for you too. I hope that these efforts, through Gods Will will get some souls into heaven.

    If you look you will always find risk, however, it has been known for some time children aren’t superspreaders. The CDC and the WHO have admittedly intentionally mislead the population, on masks, on person to person transmission, on their level of confidence, among other things. Both groups are politically comprimised or have determined people can not process information. The data is clear on contact tracing, who is dying, and the fact that these decisions were done with neither data nor science and little consideration on the consequences vs the risk. The damage that is being done is inhumane.

    I would agree that if you’re going to tax, dont regressively tax.

  42. SJ KULAK you wrote:

    “Action for action sake is not what is being proposed. I have already stated I follow the principle of acceptable loss, an intrinsically pessimistic outlook that assumes failure and assess my acceptance of that failure path. It assumes all activities are valuable on the success path.”

    Your acceptance of failure is fine, but you cannot drag everyone else down with you. The policies you used in this argument are the typical “Straw Man” approach as defined here:

    “”The Straw Man (also “The Straw Person” “”The Straw Figure”): THE FALLACY OF SETTING UP A PHONY, WEAK, EXTREME OR RIDICULOUS PARODY OF AN OPPONENT’S ARGUMENT AND THEN PROCEEDING TO KNOCK IT DOWN OR REDUCE IT TO ABSURDITY WITH A RHETORICAL WAVE OF THE HAND. E.g., “Vegetarians say animals have feelings like you and me. Ever seen a cow laugh at a Shakespeare comedy? Vegetarianism is nonsense!” Or, “Pro-choicers hate babies and want to kill them!” Or, “Pro-lifers hate women and want them to spend their lives barefoot, pregnant and chained to the kitchen stove!” A TOO-COMMON EXAMPLE OF THIS FALLACY IS THAT OF HIGHLIGHTING THE MOST ABSURD, offensive, silly or violent examples in a mass movement or demonstration, e.g. “Tree huggers” for environmentalists, “bra burners” for feminists, or “rioters” when there are a dozen violent crazies in a peaceful, disciplined demonstration of thousands or tens of thousands, and then falsely portraying these extreme examples as typical of the entire movement in order to condemn it with a wave of the hand. “

    And the Mind Your Own Business approach defined as:

    “”MYOB (Mind Your Own Business; also You’re Not the Boss of Me; “None of yer beeswax,” “So What?”, The Appeal to Privacy): The contemporary fallacy of arbitrarily prohibiting or terminating any discussion of one’s own standpoints or behavior, no matter how absurd, dangerous, evil or offensive, BY DRAWING A PHONY CURTAIN OF PRIVACY AROUND ONESELF AND ONE’S ACTIONS. A corrupt argument from ethos (one’s own). E.g., “Sure, I was doing eighty and weaving between lanes on Mesa Street–what’s it to you? You’re not a cop, you’re not my nanny. IT’S MY BUSINESS IF I WANT TO SPEED, AND YOUR BUSINESS TO GET THE HELL OUT OF MY WAY. MIND YOUR OWN DAMN BUSINESS!” Or, “Yeah, I killed my baby. So what? Butt out! It wasn’t your brat, so it’s none of your damn business!” Rational discussion is cut off because “it is none of your business!” See also, “Taboo.” The counterpart of this is “Nobody Will Ever Know,” (also “What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas;” “I Think We’re Alone Now,” or the Heart of Darkness Syndrome) the fallacy that just because nobody important is looking (or because one is on vacation, or away in college, or overseas) one may freely commit immoral, selfish, negative or evil acts at will without expecting any of the normal consequences or punishment . Author Joseph Conrad graphically describes this sort of moral degradation in the character of Kurtz in his classic novel, Heart of Darkness.”
    Again YOU can choose that course of action, BUT you cannot make others do what you wrote:

    “I do things that lower the chances of each worst case outcome, and don’t do things that are inconsistent with my view of the good life. But I am not alive if I am so afraid of the potential outcomes or so full of despair that I ruin other peoples’ lives around me.”

    Again a VERY selfish manner of reasoning. Public Health cannot base its actions on this.

  43. Mr. Goldstein,

    You are the selfish one.

    While I understand that you have failed at almost everything in life due to your lack of taking any real chances – there is no shame in that, that is just who you are. But to require people turn off their life, ruin their kid’s childhood, destroy their marriage, overdose on drugs out of severe depression, watch their business crumble, throw away everything they have fought for and risked for, so you can experience a false sense of security IS shameful.

    These lock-down are not based on science, keeping kids out of school is not based on science, even requiring masks is not based on science. All of these decision where not the result of careful, falsifiable and controlled tests and experimentation; they were attempts by politicians to look like they were doing something in a time of panic. The little data we have seen shows you pass it at home, volume of air and exposure to UV light has a deteriorating effect, kids don’t spread it and on the off chance teachers get COVID it is because the teachers didn’t follow protocols, and masks, at least before March 2020, were considered courtesy masks. Sneezing with a mask seems to enhance the aerosol effect of the viral spray as well. Almost everyone that dies from it are old and already sick with numerous co-morbidities.

    If you are old and present co-morbidities, by all means sequester yourself.

    If you are COVID positive, by all means quarantine yourself.

    If you don’t want to get COVID under any circumstances, hide in your hole.

    If you don’t want to fail, try nothing hard.

    But you can’t make that choice for everyone so you fell safe.

    I understand you have nothing worth losing, that’s fine. My unselfish advice is for you to focus your efforts on getting employed again so you can pay your rent and not be more of a burden to society, that is a heavy weight in older men such as ourselves.

    Also, I strongly feel this is a good time for a single older man such as yourself to move and buy a home somewhere else, so a single mother of three can occupy your unit and isn’t left to be homeless, but who am I to tell you to be better? What is clear to me is you shouldn’t try to dictate to others how they can live their life or waste your time arguing with me. I’m nobody, and yet I still share these gifts, my wisdom, with you. Freely.

    Because really, who are you to tell anyone how to live?

    Peace.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *