Bay Area Lawmakers Laud Passage of Covid Relief Bill

Bay Area legislators celebrated Wednesday following Congress’ passage of the American Rescue Plan Act, a $1.9 trillion coronavirus pandemic relief and stimulus package.

The bill, known as ARPA, became the chief priority of Congress following the inauguration of President Joe Biden. It includes hundreds of billions of dollars in aid for state and local governments as well as funding for vaccine distribution, health care subsidies, unemployment benefits and more.

The bill also includes stimulus checks of up to $1,400 for taxpayers and up to $3,600 in child tax credits for parents. “Today is an historic day,” House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said in a letter to Congressional Democrats. “It is a day of fulfillment as the Democratic House passes the Biden American Rescue Plan, joining in President Biden’s promise to the American people: help is on the way.”

Following the Senate’s approval on Saturday, the House voted 220-211 in a party-line vote, with just one Democrat dissenting, to send the bill to Biden’s desk.

Biden is expected to sign the bill later this week.

The bill is the third pandemic-related relief bill Congress has passed over the last year, totaling more than $4 trillion in federal spending.

Rep. Barbara Lee (D-Oakland) applauded the bill’s passage but argued it is but one of many steps toward the country recovering from the pandemic.

“For too long, the American people were told they had to navigate this crisis on their own, hospitals lacked PPE and ventilators to treat patients, and millions of families struggled to keep food on the table and a roof over their heads,” she said.

“Today, we finally passed a relief plan that meets the scale of this crisis that will help save the lives and livelihoods of millions of people across our country,” she said.

California will receive roughly $43 billion in funding from the bill, including $16 billion specifically for local governments.

According to U.S. Rep. Jared Huffman (D-San Rafael), Sonoma County will receive roughly $96 million while Marin County and its cities will receive just over $50 million.

“The American Rescue Plan is what we need to beat Covid, safely reopen schools, deliver relief, and ensure an equitable recovery for everyone,” Huffman said. “The vast majority of people in America support the president’s plan, and today House Democrats honored our promise to deliver relief for the people.”

Rep. Jackie Speier (D-San Mateo), called the bill “transformative” and argued it is one of the most aggressive anti-poverty actions Congress has taken in more than 50 years.

“For the first time we are protecting our children while also addressing the crippling devastation that the Covid-19 pandemic has wrought on small businesses, schools, our health care industry, frontline workers, and hardworking Americans who are the backbone of our economy and country,” she said.

“For once, we’re putting our money where our mouth is.”

19 Comments

  1. Yeah. Exactly the sort of thing our local politicians like- taking money from working people and giving it to special interest groups.

  2. John,

    And the Special Interest Group like the unemployed that lost their jobs by no fault of their own because their bosses didn’t get their Business Interruption Insurance WITHOUT a pandemic EXCLUSION?

    John, the worst part of the damage of the economy was that most “small” businesses do not know how to prepare for any disruptions. That is the BUSINESSES fault for not having their own safety net.

    Unless you want to make a government requirement to issue and buy a government arranged PANDEMIC insurance, like EARTHQUAKE or FLOODS?

    Sound like a good idea, but these businesses used “self-insurance” which was a complete failure.

    And so many of them a complaining that they are not being “protected”? The public knowledge of a pandemic risk, now called an INCIDENT because it actually happened was well known. The fact that these “geniuses” of business thought it would NEVER happen on their watch proved WRONG.

    They must pay the price for their lack of wisdom. So you can complain all you want, but people like yourself, had made the problem so much worse.

  3. Of course they laud the bill.

    They join others in government and media, like John King on CNN, “This is FDR …”

    No doubt any of them in the Bay Area also are like the others in that they’re happier about the many non-COVID items in the bill that delight them than they are about the COVID items in the bill.

    None of the post-passage drivel and idiocy is surprising.

  4. Steven,
    I think at some level we’re in agreement.
    If you, as an individual or a business, are in a position that you can’t get by for a few months or a year if the s**t hits the fan, then it ought to be your top priority to build that reserve. Because otherwise you’re a child and you’re viewing your fellow self reliant citizens as your mommy and daddy.
    I’ve had it up to here with this bailout mentality which has become so entrenched that we now have millions of people- and businesses- demanding, not asking, but self righteously demanding charity. That’s what this “rescue package” is. It’s charity. And the people receiving it ought to at the very least show some gratitude.
    You mentioned the idea of government mandated pandemic insurance. As if that would have done any good if administered by our incompetent State. Did the mandated unemployment insurance work? No. If that State Unemployment Insurance program had been a private insurance company their officers would soon be standing trial for running a pyramid scheme. And why does the federal government have to supplement the State’s weekly benefits if it was such a wonderful program? I’ve talked to many people with friends or relatives who could have gone back to work but chose not to because they were raking in more with these charity checks. We’re just training millions of people to not bother earning a living and it’s going to have a lasting effect.
    You are critical, and rightly so, of companies always having that safety valve called bankruptcy which leave others, often taxpayers, holding the bag as is the case with the Fairmont hotel. Well this rescue package is no different. But compared to a structured bankruptcy settlement this relief package is infinitely less likely to have even a small percentage of it’s funds actually wind up in the hands of individuals who really need it and for whom it makes a crucial difference in their circumstances. Most money will go to those who could get by without it or those who are so hopelessly behind that it’s not enough.

  5. John Galt you wrote:

    “If you, as an individual or a business, are in a position that you can’t get by for a few months or a year if the s**t hits the fan, then it ought to be your top priority to build that reserve. Because otherwise you’re a child and you’re viewing your fellow self reliant citizens as your mommy and daddy.”

    But if your going to pull “individuals” into that group, they would have to be in a position where their conduct must be contributory of the loss of income. They are ENTITLED by the SOCIAL insurance of Unemployment to be not PENALIZED for the lack of wisdom of their “BOSSES”. You wrote:

    “I’ve had it up to here with this bailout mentality which has become so entrenched that we now have millions of people- and businesses- demanding, not asking, but self righteously demanding charity. That’s what this “rescue package” is. It’s charity. And the people receiving it ought to at the very least show some gratitude.”

    “GRATITUDE”, really, these bosses managed their business so they had no proper plans to avoid in effect DUMPING their employees and forcing their EMPLOYEES to become dependent on the STATE. So, if you think that “EMPLOYMENT PROVIDERS” are being mistreated, just look at the damage they created. This is just what these “genius” business people did, and you again are trying to say, WE should be GRATEFUL for these people? NO WAY! You wrote:

    “You mentioned the idea of government mandated pandemic insurance. As if that would have done any good if administered by our incompetent State. Did the mandated unemployment insurance work? No.”

    Actually it is, but it got caught with a magnitude of demand never seen before. But I grant you the system is very poporly maintained and managed. BUT the EDD is working, and they are providing service. THe fact is that do you have any example of any “PRIVATE” unemployment insurance providers to compare it to? You wrote:

    “If that State Unemployment Insurance program had been a private insurance company their officers would soon be standing trial for running a pyramid scheme.”

    Actually for a “PRYAMID” scheme to exist, the money that is collected goes to a PRIVATE person that in effect is SKIMMING the books. That is NOT what is happening at EDD. You are making up fiction to over exaggerate your criticism. You wrote:

    “And why does the federal government have to supplement the State’s weekly benefits if it was such a wonderful program? I’ve talked to many people with friends or relatives who could have gone back to work but chose not to because they were raking in more with these charity checks. We’re just training millions of people to not bother earning a living and it’s going to have a lasting effect.”

    Again, when you lose your job by no fault of your own, you are in fact clearly entitled to return to similar work for similar pay. NO ONE should be PENALIZED by having to take ANY work when they lost there employment because some “BOSS” did not manage their business well, or did not have any more work for the person to do. The EMPLOYEE is not managing their own employment, are they. Wait, that is a contractor NOT an employee. You wrote:

    “You are critical, and rightly so, of companies always having that safety valve called bankruptcy which leave others, often taxpayers, holding the bag as is the case with the Fairmont hotel. Well this rescue package is no different.”

    WRONG it is VERY different, given that it does “bail out” public agencies that got damaged because of the poor practices resulting in lost revenue when these “BUSINESSES” dropped out because they had no contingency plan. Thus, yes pensions and things like that are getting funds so that the people who already EARNED them do not lose them. You are really just trying to distract from the REAL problem. You wrote:

    “But compared to a structured bankruptcy settlement this relief package is infinitely less likely to have even a small percentage of it’s funds actually wind up in the hands of individuals who really need it and for whom it makes a crucial difference in their circumstances. Most money will go to those who could get by without it or those who are so hopelessly behind that it’s not enough.”

    That may be your opinion, but you really have no monetary breakdown to report to prove it. You are in fact just angry because perhaps many of your friends businesses died, and the employees NOT RESPONSIBLE for that death are getting the resources they should. Or better yet, they are getting a stronger “bargaining” position so that they do not have to again be penalized because their previous “BOSS” didn’t do THEIR work.

  6. The “free money” will run out. What then?
    Eviction moratoriums will end. What then?
    Masses of illegal aliens flooding our cities.
    The alt-left masquerading as the Democratic Party is destroying our country.
    Meanwhile, the Dementia poster-boy in Chief, continues to “fool no one” as he stumbles and mumbles.
    Don’t forget to sign the, “Recall Newsom” petition.
    David S. Wall

  7. DAVID S. WALL you wrote:

    “The “free money” will run out. What then?”

    YES, the FREE MONEY used to borrow so that the stock market didn’t crash. When that money needs to be paid back watch how fast the market will drop. You wrote:

    “Eviction moratoriums will end. What then?”

    Hopefully that happens at the right time, WHEN people are getting back to work at the same levels then prior to the PANDEMIC failures of the BUSINESSES. Doing so prematurely will be a disaster. THe facts that “SMALL BUSINESS” made this economic climate regarding employment and earnings so much worse You wrote:

    “Masses of illegal aliens flooding our cities.”

    Now that is just simple classism or racism being expressed. But again if there is no low wage earners in a region, then your wealthy can only stay home and do all of the work they want to pay others to do. You wrote:

    “The alt-left masquerading as the Democratic Party is destroying our country.”

    REALLY? I haven’t heard that term before, perhaps it is the only way an “alt-right” person can react given that many have bounced their “reality checks”? You wrote:

    “Meanwhile, the Dementia poster-boy in Chief, continues to “fool no one” as he stumbles and mumbles.”

    Somebody is a Linkin Park fan, but that song was pointing at George W. Bush if you remember. I think the song is “Hands Held High”.

    What I loved in the song was this lyric:

    “Risk something, take back what’s yours. Say something that you know they might attack you for. ‘Cause I’m sick of being treated like I had before. Like it’s stupid standing for what I’m standing for. LIKE THIS WAR’S REALLY JUST A DIFFERENT BRAND OF WAR. LIKE IT DOESN’T CATER TO RICH AND ABANDON POOR. LIKE THEY UNDERSTAND YOU, IN THE BACK OF THEIR JET. WHEN YOU CAN’T PUT GAS IN YOUR TANK.

    THESE XXXXX’S ARE LAUGHING THEIR WAY TO THE BANK, AND CASHING THEIR CHECK. ASKING YOU TO HAVE COMPASSION AND HAVE SOME RESPECT. For a leader so nervous in an obvious way. Stuttering and mumbling for nightly news to replay. And the rest of the world watching at the end of the day. In the living room, laughing like, “What did he say?

    My dad, he’s got a lot of fear, I know. But enough pride inside not to let that show. My brother had a book he would hold with pride. A little red cover with a broken spine on the back. HE HAND-WROTE A QUOTE INSIDE. “WHEN THE RICH WAGE WAR, IT’S THE POOR WHO DIE”. MEANWHILE, THE LEADER JUST TALKS AWAY. STUTTERING AND MUMBLING FOR NIGHTLY NEWS TO REPLAY. The rest of the world watching at the end of the day. Both scared and angry, like “What did he say?”

    At least Donald Trump just told his fans to attack anyone that disagreed with him.

  8. Bipartisan opposition to the bill. Passed with only Democrat support. More money in it that has nothing to do with relief than money that actually goes to people who need it. Bails out states that are all but formally bankrupt due to poor management.

  9. The sad truth:

    All of this money, and I mean all of it, will eventually land in the pockets of the rich. Either it be your landlord, Amazon, soft costs grift-artists harvesting “infrastructure” project dollars, monetizers of the poor. Very very few of these dollars will end up in the pockets of anyone poor or actually in need.

    And while this debt will never, ever be paid off, the interest will be serviced by the middle class on top of the “inflation tax” they pay on their savings and future income. The greatest deception being your attempts to tax the rich will just be funded by them raising prices on you.

    Baaaaahahahaha

    You people are so sad, so deluded, so miseducated… This is not winning, this is a painful existence slowly approaching death by starvation in which you have sold your soul to the man and your servitude is such they let you live long enough to extend the profit they extract from body.

    America is over, has been in California for a while, but the fact there are people who think this or any of these “relief” bills are a win in any way shape or form show how far you have fallen. Your cash is worthless, your labor power deteriorating by the day, your kids are being de-educated on purpose, housing costs will only go up, and now they want to grow meat in a “lab” to widen margins. You are a pathetic pile of self-selected serfs who have destroyed the greatest wealth creation machine and most free nation on earth. You have gutted the richest and broadest middle class ever through the combination of laziness and envy, and your kids deserve the hell on earth you have built for them.

    Congratulations, suckers!

  10. SJ Kulak: “You have gutted the richest and broadest middle class ever through the combination of laziness and envy…”

    Truest words ever published in SJI.

  11. WORK90 you wrote:

    “Bipartisan opposition to the bill. Passed with only Democrat support. More money in it that has nothing to do with relief than money that actually goes to people who need it. Bails out states that are all but formally bankrupt due to poor management.”

    Actually they are bankrupt because Donald Trump made them that way. He purposefully destroyed all the state and local governments by in effect making the COVID infection attack irreversible. He claimed “miracle ends of infection”, then saying that it is up to the states to fix their PPE shortages (Biden is fixing that problem), then by preventing the mobilization of a viral defense over and over again. This is ENRON being replayed with a virus on the ENTIRE NATION. Bush helped his friends Skilling and Lay to steal billions from the state of CA by preventing energy regulation. And you know this.

    SJ Kulak you wrote:

    “America is over, has been in California for a while, but the fact there are people who think this or any of these “relief” bills are a win in any way shape or form show how far you have fallen. Your cash is worthless, your labor power deteriorating by the day, your kids are being de-educated on purpose, housing costs will only go up, and now they want to grow meat in a “lab” to widen margins. You are a pathetic pile of self-selected serfs who have destroyed the greatest wealth creation machine and most free nation on earth. You have gutted the richest and broadest middle class ever through the combination of laziness and envy, and your kids deserve the hell on earth you have built for them.”

    Well, as I have observed from you and so many others, when you are lucky to make money, you claim it is because of your “genius” business sense, but when you screw up and have to go out of business, you then say “NO! NOT MY FAULT MY WORKERS MESSED UP!” the privatization of success and the socialization of failure.

    These business people are nothing but a SCAM. When a company goes out of business it was the “OWNERS” or “BOSSES” responsibility, never the workers. WHY? Because the “OWNERS” and “BOSSESS” are the only ones with the “ADMINISTRATIVE” power to make the business either succeed or fail. And they hate the fact that this situation has proven their inability to think long term or choose the best management practices.

    Then John Galt reinforces the overall problem with claiming that people are “LAZY” when it was “LAZY” management that caused all of the economic damage here. And as far as “ENVY” goes, that is just an attempt to rationalize that people look up to these failed business people. I certainly don’t know matter what.

  12. HB,

    As both a Domestic and Internationally recognized expert on Business Continuity Practices, even recognized in COURT. That is the REAL WORLD and you KNOW IT. I simply just need to say, you really are in no position to claim I have no knowledge or experience in the matters.

    I presented a link to a great IMPARTIAL OBJECTIVE analysis regarding Business Interruption Insurance. The idea that I MADE it up is complete trash.

    All you do is try to make EXCUSES for the lack of best practices regarding a small business. Too bad, because it just means that your advice will get other people more likely to go out of business. And if anything else I worked a SMALL BUSINESS regarding scientific research and development in the northeast for 7 years in the 1980s. My father was the Engineer, I was the Business Process Manager, taking care of purchases, charging the fees, and maintaining inventories and writing proposals. We only had a staff of 10 people, all highly educated engineers and scientists. Of course I did not tell you. My work ended up being certified by the EPA for Clean Air Act measuring devices that are still used today.

    Why is it you try to put anyone down that doesn’t agree with you?

    You just want to do your NAME CALLING game.

    Just a follow up

    And here is a copy of the EPA rules regarding CO monitoring (https://ofmpub.epa.gov/eims/eimscomm.getfile?p_download_id=523412)

    Dr. Jack Goldstein was the one that established the standards for Gas Filter Correlation Spectroscopy for Carbon Monoxide in 1977, But I started work with him in 1983 and when he introduced the FIRST microprocessor controlled and operated unit, which is called the Dasibi Model 3003. I also was working on the Dasibi Model 4108 Sulfur Oxides unit, another microprocessor controlled unit.

    He worked as a engineer in 6 devices, and I was in effect his Project Manager during that time. It was fun to travel to California from Massachusetts multiple times a year and present the equipment at the trade shows. I even had travel miles and my own credit card prior to my 17th birthday.

    My work required me to be part time while I was going to high school. But because of that work, I eventually was the President of the Business Club (yes my high school had one) It was weird being the only student in school caught always wearing a business casual outfit with a tie. And when I went to college, I carried a beeper in 1986.

    It gets tiring to hear people like yourself trying to assume what I do an do not know

  13. For $1.9 trillion you Democrats could have had your high speed rail in California AND in 18 other states! But no. It’s better to flush the money down the toilet.

  14. JOHN GALT you wrote:

    “For $1.9 trillion you Democrats could have had your high speed rail in California AND in 18 other states! But no. It’s better to flush the money down the toilet.”

    Actually, if you understand that project, it was a “PRIVATE/public” project, meaning that the money was CONTRACTED out to the PRIVATE sector, correct?

    What happened?

    The PRIVATE SECTOR consultants, designers, and builders all screwed up the project. Here is a great report on it (https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/questionable-billing-following-the-money-behind-high-speed-rail/672/)

    Another report does state:

    “A TOP CONSULTANT FOR CALIFORNIA’S CONTROVERSIAL HIGH-SPEED RAIL PROJECT IS UNDER INVESTIGATION AFTER HE MODIFIED A MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT THAT INVOLVED A COMPANY IN WHICH HE MAY HAVE HELD MORE THAN $100,000 IN STOCK.

    At the request of California state Assemblyman Jim Patterson, a Republican and major critic of the bullet train project, the Fair Political Practices Commission launched an investigation last week into the deputy chief operating officer for the California High-Speed Rail Authority, Roy Hill.

    HILL, WHO IS ALSO A SENIOR EXECUTIVE AT THE LEAD CONSULTING FIRM WSP, SIGNED A $51-MILLION CHANGE ORDER FOR THE CONSTRUCTION TEAM LED BY THE SPANISH FIRM DRAGADOS. HILL, HOWEVER, MAY HAVE ALSO OWNED MORE THAN $100,000 STOCK IN JACOBS ENGINEERING, WHICH IS PART OF THE DRAGADOS TEAM, ACCORDING TO THE LOS ANGELES TIMES.”

    Also:

    “LOS ANGELES — It was just last year that Gov. Gavin Newsom said he would need to downsize California’s ambitious bullet-train project, because the state could afford only a limited system from Merced to Bakersfield.

    But even the viability of that scaled-down, $20.4 billion plan is becoming uncertain as construction costs rise in the San Joaquin Valley, expected revenue is under pressure and land acquisition problems continue to mount.

    The changing conditions have prompted the California High-Speed Rail Authority to launch a comprehensive reassessment of its plans, said Chief Executive Brian Kelly, who is facing tougher questions by state leaders, given the austere outlook.

    “I just want the truth,” said Assembly Transportation Chairman Jim Frazier, a Discovery Bay Democrat and former general contractor who has grown distrustful of the project’s planning. “I want an independent analysis of what can be accomplished and how much it is going to cost.”

    CONTRACTORS FOR THE RAIL AUTHORITY ARE FILING LARGE CHANGE ORDERS AND DELAY CLAIMS, ACCORDING TO DISCLOSURES BY THE AGENCY AND INTERNAL DOCUMENTS OBTAINED BY THE LOS ANGELES TIMES. ADDITIONAL LAND IS ALSO NEEDED, ADDING TO COSTS.”

    If this project was done without ANY interference and corruption regarding these PRIVATE companies, I would argue that we would have had A LOT more done.

    So this RED HERRING of a complaint, is not even on topic, but is just another demonstration that when it comes to PRIVATE businesses, they can’t manage their way out of a paper bag. NO MORE EXCUSES.

  15. Goldstein, you lost every ounce of credibility when you blamed Trump for the bankruptcy of blue states. I will no longer bother to even read your posts.

  16. Oh the unread ramblings of the broke, unemployed, prematenant non-rent payers!

    You want your sons to be that, a male in chromosome only who lives off the forced charity of other men? And other women?

    Is this the stock you are raising San Jose? When you see them take their first steps, do you hope that path leads to the government dole office so they can collect their “entitlements.” You are wiping behinds for that, you are driving your kids to violin practice for that?

    Please.

    What is left of the Ohlone could eat these “men” of Silicon Valley like rice with one hand tied behind their back. Its just a matter of time before they do, and they won’t be as nice as the landlords are forced to be, that’s for sure.

    The bloodlines aren’t thin, they’re completely spent. And all the vacant words in the world can’t bring them back.

    Good luck ramblers.

  17. WORK90 you wrote:

    “Goldstein, you lost every ounce of credibility when you blamed Trump for the bankruptcy of blue states. I will no longer bother to even read your posts.”

    Not like you are being a constructive conversation anyway.

    I love the fact that Trump is likely going to have to go to court for Criminal Charges regarding Georgia at the least. Perhaps Criminal charges regarding the assault on the capitol. And maybe more than 100 civil lawsuits for endangerment and negligence regarding that assault.

    That alone is probably going to make his properties crash in value, perhaps many more bankruptcies of his “companies”. Why? Because his conduct depreciates his business value.

    Also, that 4 of his cabinet secretaries are likely to be charged with corruption, including Mitch McConnell’s wife. In the end it looks like justice is going finally balance out this insanity. As far as SJ Kulask is concerned you wrote:

    “Oh the unread ramblings of the broke, unemployed, prematenant non-rent payers!”

    Actually your comment means you read it. You went on:

    “You want your sons to be that, a male in chromosome only who lives off the forced charity of other men? And other women?”

    WELL, since when is MANSPLAINING that only MEN are being damaged by the economic disaster these “SMALL BUSINESSES” wrought? You wrote:

    “Is this the stock you are raising San Jose? When you see them take their first steps, do you hope that path leads to the government dole office so they can collect their “entitlements.” You are wiping behinds for that, you are driving your kids to violin practice for that?

    Please.”

    I just think at this time all you can do is insult others, and this is NOT a WINNING strategy. You went on to say:

    “What is left of the Ohlone could eat these “men” of Silicon Valley like rice with one hand tied behind their back. Its just a matter of time before they do, and they won’t be as nice as the landlords are forced to be, that’s for sure.”

    So now you are insulting a Native American group. As the saying went “Who You Calling an Illegal Immigrant, PILGRIM?”

    Look at the fact that all these “Europeans” literally invaded this continent, without the consent of the native Americans, conned and scammed them over and over again, committed genocide on its native people, and then try to say to others, oh no you can’t come here. You wonder why these people want to “revise” history to avoid discussing things like the “Trail of Tears”:

    “What was the Trail of Tears?

    Taking place in the 1830s, the Trail of Tears was the forced and brutal relocation of approximately 100,000 indigenous people (belonging to Cherokee, Creek, Chickasaw, Choctaw, and Seminole, among other nations) living between Michigan, Louisiana, and Florida to land west of the Mississippi River. Motivated by gold and land, Congress (under President Andrew Jackson) passed the Indian Removal Act by a slim and controversial margin in 1830. The Cherokees resisted removal through every possible means. Even Junaluska, who had saved Andrew Jackson’s life at the Battle of Horseshoe Bend, traveled to Washington to plead the Cherokee’s cause, but Jackson would not see him.”

    God when will this ABUSE stop?

  18. Steven,
    You and your favorite political party, as demonstrated by your ongoing approach to our own immigration situation, have shown us exactly how YOU would have behaved had YOU been a Native American 250 years ago. You’d have been right there throwing your tribal brethren under the bus as you cut deals with the Europeans in exchange for a few glass beads and trinkets, casually dismissing the concerns of the more conservative braves who could clearly see the devastating effect a massive influx of foreigners would have on their society and way of life. You’d have been right there ridiculing your brothers, dismissing their protests as fear mongering, racism, etc.
    So spare us your sanctimony Goldstein. You lament the wiping out of a unique and valuable civilization? Guess what. We all do. So why are you people doing your best to wipe out another?

  19. John Galt, you wrote:

    “You and your favorite political party, as demonstrated by your ongoing approach to our own immigration situation, have shown us exactly how YOU would have behaved had YOU been a Native American 250 years ago.”

    Actually, maybe the fact was the Europeans were VERY lucky that the Indigenous people were gullible and actually helped them when they came over. The reality was the Europeans were a VERY humble people when they were outnumbered in this continent in the beginning. What happened is that the Europeans were a war and conquerors race that “snuck” up on the Indigenous people. They were deceptive and tricked the Indigenous people every chance they had, they CHEATED. You wrote:

    “You’d have been right there throwing your tribal brethren under the bus as you cut deals with the Europeans in exchange for a few glass beads and trinkets, casually dismissing the concerns of the more conservative braves who could clearly see the devastating effect a massive influx of foreigners would have on their society and way of life. You’d have been right there ridiculing your brothers, dismissing their protests as fear mongering, racism, etc.”

    Wait, are you suggesting that the Indigenous people acted like many of the Africans by somehow becoming part of the SLAVE trade. You know that once the numbers and the “TECHNOLOGY” of war was on the advantage of the Europeans in both the North American and African Continent, they used it to COERCE many Indigenous groups in North America and Africa to become in effect SLAVES of the Europeans. You wrote:

    “So spare us your sanctimony Goldstein. You lament the wiping out of a unique and valuable civilization? Guess what. We all do. So why are you people doing your best to wipe out another?”

    I DID NOTHING OF THE SORT, NOR DID MY FAMILY, MY MOTHERS SIDE CAME OVER IN THE VERY EARLY 1910s from FRANCE, and MY FATHERS SIDE CAME OVER IN THE 1920s FROM POLAND TO ESCAPE ANTI SEMITISM, AND THEY STAYED ON THE EAST COAST UNTIL MY GENERATION IN THE 1980s.

    You admit your “crimes against humanity” as defined under the Geneva Convention.

    And what group am I trying to “wipe out”? And don’t try to say it is Capitalists, because they are not a recognized “suspect” class, nor are they “disadvantaged”. They aren’t any “nationality, race, religion” either. And what “weapons” am I using to attack capitalists, maybe just my words and ideas, but I am not using any “force” to threaten anyone’s property or health. The Indigenous people like George Floyd in Minnesota, was MURDERED and were subject to deathly threats if they did not behave. You are just trying to PLAY THE VICTIM.

    In any case, we are off topic, I can’t wait to see if Biden’s plan get implements faster than when Trump got his chance. And yes, I expect that the Federal Rent Assistance will assist me in getting completely out of any “Rent Debt” because I happen to fall under the PRIORITY class of renters. So I will not be under threat of eviction.

    By the way did you see the Merc News, they bay area jobs market is way more worse than it has been reported. You can read it here “OVID economy: Job losses jolt Bay Area, California in January: Employment losses in Bay Area and statewide were far worse in 2020 than first thought amid coronavirus shutdowns (https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/03/12/covid-economy-job-cut-hefty-jolt-california-bay-area-hotel-retail-tech/). And do not expect it to recover by the end of the year.

    ““This is pretty dire,” said Patrick Kallerman, research director with the Bay Area Council’s Economic Institute. “This is pretty serious stuff. The Bay Area is down. The state is down.”

    The state labor agency initially had projected that California lost 1.41 million jobs during 2020. But in its annual revision released Friday, the EDD said the state shed 1.62 million jobs, 9.2 percent of the positions the state had in February 2020, back when California set a record of 17.6 million nonfarm payroll jobs.

    IN THE ONLY ENCOURAGING PART OF THE JOBS REPORT, THE CALIFORNIA UNEMPLOYMENT RATE IMPROVED IN JANUARY TO 9%, DOWN FROM 9.3% IN DECEMBER. IN STARK CONTRAST, HOWEVER, THE CALIFORNIA JOBLESS RATE WAS A RECORD-LOW 3.9% IN FEBRUARY 2020.

    “It would take a hiring surge of unprecedented proportions” to restore the California labor market to its typical growth trends, said Taner Osman, research manager at Beacon Economics and the UC Riverside center. “In fact, we’ll do well to just recover all the jobs lost in 2020 this year.”

    The three major urban centers in the Bay Area, the South Bay, the East Bay and the San Francisco-San Mateo region all must climb economic mountains simply to return to the record heights of February 2020, economists said.

    During 2020, the South Bay lost 101,100 jobs, the East Bay shed 115,600 jobs, while the San Francisco-San Mateo region was the worst off, with a loss of 151,800 positions, this news organization’s analysis of the EDD figures shows.

    “These are severe losses for the Bay Area,” Kallerman said. “We are in a much worse place than we thought we were.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *