Ending Youth and Family Homelessness
Posted by Comments (3)on Wednesday, February 8, 2012
Today I am headed to Los Angeles to attend a national conference focused on ending youth and family homelessness by 2020. The National Alliance to End Homelessness has worked hard to draw attention to not only ending chronic homelessness, but addressing the different approaches in working with youth and families.
While a “housing first” model works for hardcore, older adult homeless, it is not necessarily the most effective model for working with unaccompanied minor youth. For homeless youth (ages 11 through 17) the first goal is family reunification. At Bill Wilson Center, we’re able to get 85 percent of our shelter residents back home or placed with a relative. The other 15 percent either enter foster care or they chose to leave our program before we can link them to safe, stable homes. Sometimes kids don’t want to return home, or feel they can’t, and they don’t like the alternatives and chose the streets.
Would a “housing first” model work for these street kids? I’m not so sure.
Right now, you cannot legally put a minor in an unlicensed home, and these kids don’t want to stay in foster homes. Many of these more difficult homeless youth have grown up in homeless families—family members are often in and out of jail or drug addicted. They have a hard time adapting to rules once placed in foster homes, and oftentimes struggle with losing the freedom they have while on their own.
With our “no fail” policy in mind, we let homeless youth return to stay at our shelter whenever they need to. Often it is a medical issue that brings them back. Sooner or later we can get them to stay, but it takes time to build that trust. Our outreach workers often connect with them on the streets and bring them back to the shelter or direct them to our downtown 2nd Street Drop-In Center, where they can get connected to much needed services.
I am curious to hear what the conference will propose to end youth and family homelessness by 2020. I would like to retire around that time and it would be great if I worked myself out of a job! However, I know there will still be plenty to do to keep families together so youth homelessness can be prevented in the first place.
I’ll post again from the conference. I’m sure you’re also curious about how we can end youth and family homelessness.
Post a Comment
Mission Statement: This site is designed to encourage political debate, discussion and change in our city, started by people who value San Jose and are interested in her future and in this valley’s place in the state and nation.
Disclaimer: All views expressed on this site are solely the opinion of the individual writer.
Comment Policy: Please read our comment policy before posting.
© 2013 San Jose Inside. All rights reserved. Contact us